Monday, May 05, 2008

The Qwest Concludes

I'm not sure if my DirecTV/Qwest woes have been the most compelling tale I've told here, but it does seem a few people have taken an interest. (Thanks for your long distance attempts at a diagnosis, Kindralas!) So here is the final (probably) chapter in the tale.

I wasn't feeling too great Friday night. In fact, as of today, I'm full-blown sick and feeling miserable. So I figured I'd try to sleep in Saturday morning, despite the 9:00-1:00 window of my TV appointment. I had the Apologetic Supervisor's assurance that I'd get a call 30 minutes before the technician arrived, so I figured that would give me the time to wake up and get ready.

Still, I decided to attach a note to my door before I went to bed. It read simply: "You were supposed to call me before you arrived."

I woke up on my own around 10:00, and went out to run some errands that needed doing, leaving that note attached to my door. Around 10:30, I did indeed get a phone call. It was the technician, but he was calling to inform me he was running behind schedule, not that he was on his way. Ignoring the likelihood that he probably wouldn't have called me at all if he'd been on time, I asked if he'd please call again once he was on the way. I completed my errands, got another call about 11:15, then headed home.

Then, at 11:30, he showed up, and the stupidity began.

Here was another guy who didn't think to bring a step ladder or anything. Another need for me to offer my chair for him to stand on. He looks in the box outside my building and says, "wow, there's nothing in here! Nobody in your building has HD yet."

I know, I tell him. There's a satellite on the roof for it, but I'm missing the SWM module (and the splitter for the building, should anyone want to follow later on the trail I've painfully blazed these past few weeks). "You have that with you, though, right?"

"Sure. We'll get you hooked up, no problem."

It took about 45 minutes, which seemed maybe a little long to me, but whatever. Then he brings the HD box into my place, we plug it in, and start it doing the automatic software update.

Nothing.

He restarts the box. Nothing.

He checks the signal readout from the satellite transponders. Three satellites in range. Every one of them, only the even numbered transponders providing any kind of signal. All the odd numbers are dead. Two of the satellites are thus showing up "Failed" in the settings, and the third isn't providing enough of a signal to really do anything.

He goes back out to the box for a half an hour. I get a phone call from my friend. "Are we still on for that movie at 2:30?"

Well, it's about 1:30 now. I'm getting a bad feeling here... but let's say, probably, okay? I'll call you back.

The guy returns. No change.

Back out to the box, and back into my house, another three or four times, during which he tells me he's replaced every part he's just installed. He's tested the dish, too. This should all be working. "I'm going to call this other guy. He's in the area, and might be able to come by."

Now, Apologetic Supervisor on the phone told me she was sending what sounded like the Lord of the Technicians. So I'm not exactly sure who this guy is going to call for help. But I let him make the call without comment.

I'm told this "other guy" has to finish up his current job, but he'll probably be here within 45 minutes, is that okay? "Did you have plans?"

I tell him I did, as a matter of fact. But faced with the choice of scheduling a fourth appointment and losing a third Saturday to this crap, let's get the guy over here.

So I call my friends and cancel the movie, and then we sit down and wait.

The second man arrives about 2:30, and it's the same guy from a week earlier. He's at least the one that told me exactly what parts I needed to make sure were brought for my install, so maybe he'll know what he's doing. (Of course, he's also the same guy who apparently isn't trusted by the company to actually just have those parts on his truck, so maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up.)

The two of them go back outside together and go through the box, the new guy apparently double-checking all the first guy's work. They come back in to my television three or four times, restarting the box, and looking for the magic to happen.

Still nothing but even-numbered transponders.

It's past 3:00 now. Other friends call, friends who come by weekly for game night. Do I want to grill burgers tonight? They'll bring them, I just need to get buns and such.

Sure, I say. I'll make a grocery run as soon as these people leave.

3:30 rolls around. Still no progress.

3:45, my friends call back. They're in the area, actually. They'd thought they'd be running all these errands, but it didn't take long. Can they come over early?

Sure, I say, but I haven't gone to the grocery yet. The Tweedles are still here not hooking up my TV.

Said Tweedles return not long after. They've gone over everything, and they don't understand what it could be. So they're going to schedule another guy who knows more to come out and take a look at it. In the meantime, they can leave me hooked up with "MFH1" instead of "MFH2."

Meaning...?

"Well, you'll get about 9 or 10 HD channels."

Ah.... this would be that "ain't it special you get ESPN" package you tried to sell me on last week?

Perhaps because I was too busy thinking of the rant I'd scream at Apologetic Woman when I called her on Monday, I didn't tell them not to bother. So they set about screwing these two giant boxes on the back of the DVR. Then they fire the sucker up.

And still have only even transponder numbers, and a non-functioning TV box.

15 more minutes of messing with that, and then my friends arrive. Now they get to sit there in my kitchen waiting and watching along with me, all of us held captive and unable to just leave and go about our lives.

It's just past 4:00, and now they tell me they're just going to put everything back how it was, and get this higher power to come in. They're going to call him up right now.

I'm thinking I'm going to just tell them all to shove it, but maybe now having my friends sitting there keeps me from launching into the full-fledged rant I'm really feeling inside. So, the workers call this guy, and start chatting with him on the phone. They go back out to the box.

Five minutes later, they come back inside and try the HD box. Voila! No half-assed MFH1 signals, no missing transponders, it's all working.

In short, these two idiots farted around for five hours before calling this guy who took five minutes on the phone to tell them they probably had a damn wire crossed or something.

They left shortly before 4:30. I had my HD, at last. But another Saturday was blown, this one more completely than the last.

Not having Apolgetic Woman's direct phone number, I called the Man Below Her today and told him what idiots the techs were, and how they'd wasted five hours screwing everything up. He assured me he'd let his supervisor know.

But naturally, I never got a call from her.

Man, do I miss Comcast.

9 comments:

Jason said...

And how many free months are you getting for their incompetence? I'd ask for at least two.

Roland Deschain said...

My lord.

People have started their own TV networks in less time than it took to hook this up correctly!

Glad that they (hopefully) won't be setting foot in your territories again in the foreseeable future!!

Unknown said...

How far are you to the boundary of your complex? I'm thinking a secret deal with one of your detached-residence neighbors, a splitter, a shovel and viola... cable.

Or you could figure out what it would take to put your Tivos at someone else's house and download all your content. You never watch live TV anyway, correct? I have no idea what all is involved with this plan, but I'm thinking if you devoted 4 Saturdays to it you could figure it out.

Or you could campaign for head of the local HOA or whatever governing board that could ultimately reverse that decision to go exclusively with qwest.

I wish I had written down my own person "qwest saga" so you could at least know that you're not alone. My comcast saga was also a bit painful. Bottom line is I don't think any of these idiots know what they're doing any more.

GiromiDe said...

Why am I not surprised that a quick phone call from the guys on site fixed the problem? This story has been repeated numerous times.

My colleague has been stuck in Comcast limbo for at least a week. They cancel appointments with no notice and for any reason.

Kindralas said...

To snarky and roland: DirecTV doesn't necessarily work that way. If he's got receivers, and those receivers can get programming, then he's paying for it, no ifs, ands, or buts. You don't pay because you have a dish (which really is not unlike an antenna, just a big hunk of metal), you pay because you have receivers. He could have friends bring their receivers over and hook them up, but not the other way around.

And some of us idiots do know what we're doing. :)

Anyway, it sounds like they had a short or kink in the line, a bad multiswitch, or a bad LNB that was causing you to miss certain transponders. It's the kind of problem that would have taken me some investigating to get to the root of it, but it certainly wouldn't have taken me 5 hours. Probably not even 1. And that's given that I'd have to learn how to use the SWM in the process, since we don't have the Single Wires here yet.

But, I'm glad you got everything sorted. You can probably get loads of free stuff from DirecTV off of your woes, all you have to do is call them up. But it really is true in our business that there are good techs and bad techs. Also, there are techs who install these things, but have no clue how to troubleshoot, because they don't know much about how the system works. The result is that you have guys bumbling around saying to themselves "this should be working," instead of running through a list of potential problems and solving all of them.

I had one service call not unlike yours. Customer had one line going to a DVR which was only getting half the transponders. Found no kinks, replaced all the fittings so there were no shorts, replaced his DVR, and it was still giving the problem. So I reran the line, including a nasty wall fish. Total time: hour and a half.

So I don't know what those guys were thinking.

If you ever have any other problems, there are two phrases that can get your local HSP to pay attention: escalations and case management. An escalation is when a customer's so upset that they move it up the chain and an actual suit takes interest in the job. Case management is usually reserved for repeat service calls within 7 days (meaning, installation failed in 7 days, so service call. Service call didn't fix it, so case management takes over.)

At our office, we have a case management team that exclusively handles those jobs, and as such, you're almost guaranteed to get a solid tech out there. If you run into issues again, get on the horn with DirecTV, and just mention the word "escalation," and you'll get some action.

Sangediver said...

I have to hand it to you Dr. I would have started legal processes to get Comcast in there about two weeks ago...

Unknown said...

Kindralas,

I'm not sure if you're one of the good Dr.'s friends or just a Direct TV employee with nothing better to do than scour the internet looking for people badmouthing your company. I'm going to assume the former.

I was just kidding around. Sorry I offended you. The broad sweeping idiots comment gets me in trouble every time. I know there are smart people in every profession, I just never get to speak/deal with them... ever. I (and in this case the Dr.) get to deal with the mouth-breathers that I assume outnumber the competent people 100-1 at least or else I have the worst luck on the planet.

I don't know what part of what I said prompted the "DirecTV doesn't necessarily work that way" part... but everything I was saying assumed that he would immediately CANCEL his directTV service. Illegally sharing cable with a neighbor, figuring out how to share his friend's Tivo, becoming the head of his HOA, (there should have been a clue in there somewhere that I was kidding I think).

Again, sorry for the offense... I was just being, well, snarky.

Kindralas said...

No offense taken, at least, not really. One off comments from me aren't really a sign of me being offended. And yes it is the former, though I will admit to not posting on the good Doctor's blog save on this particular subject. Trust me, I see far more horrific installations by my colleagues simply by doing service calls than most customers will ever see.

Also, I don't work for DirecTV, and neither do those Qwest guys. Contracting has its ups and downs.

Anyway, if you referred to something else besides pirating DTV's signal, then I apologize for jumping on it, but my point remains the same. You can't really pirate DTV anymore. Which isn't true, I know exactly how I'd do it, but DTV also has means of catching that particular loophole real quick.

Roland Deschain said...

Hi Kindralas!

First...I'm really to lazy to pirate cable or Dish. I'd end up electrocuting myself somehow. :P

As a customer who doesn't know the ins and outs of a lot of stuff regarding technical installation, I appreciate some of your insights, especially in how to deal with phone hell when you call in!

I have however, worked in a number of customer service positions in addition to being a contractor for one of my current jobs - and my problems with the good Dr.'s situation are thus:

I have personally had an experience with a television installer at my last apartment who had a hell of a time getting my signal to work because there was a filter on the line where there shouldn't have been one - and it took a couple hours of searching in addition to a second visit. This was not his fault, and I applauded the fact that he was so dilligent in trying to complete his task. In fact, I gave him a very favorable feedback. In contrast to the good Dr. and his situation, I would say the following to any and all reps of any company reading this blog:

1) Have the tools necessary to do your job. (IE: a ladder, stepstool, screwdriver, etc.) If you are asking me as a customer to give you these things when you show up, there is no reason on earth for me to pay for the installation. I don't go to do my contract job and ask the customer for a clipboard, paper, pen, and flashlight to accomplish my task. It's discourteous and it only shows your complete lack of competence. It also would make me want to stuff your body through the hole in the wall the cable comes through.

2) There is no reason to ever ever EVER have to give a list of required components and parts to a CUSTOMER that they should have to make sure that the installer/contractor has with them. While the fact is that this information allowed the Dr. to finally get his install complete, the fact that he had to do this in the first place is patently unprofessional at the least and gross incompetence worthy of reprimand and firing of an employee at the best.

3) Training. Yes, I know it is seen as a waste of company resources as you aren't making money off that time. However, when the distinct lack of training of employees and contractors is brought to light in situations like this, consider the loss of money and reputation that you are incurring in word of mouth to other potential customers. This fact is highlighted in neon by the fact that the problem was solved by a quick phone call to someone who was properly TRAINED.

Lastly, let's be blunt. If it is dispatch at fault for not giving full information or your manager is incompetent - we as customers *DO NOT CARE* what the issues are with your internal organization. They're your issues, work them out. Don't make them ours. We're paying for a service, not your excuses.

Sorry for the rant - unfortunately, I expect competence on a daily basis...which makes it increasingly difficult to deal with a good chunk of society in America lately...