Thursday, January 02, 2014

2013 in Review -- Movies

Depending on how you count it, I saw 82 movies in 2013. That counts Star Trek Into Darkness twice. (I'd already made one plan to see it when a second plan came together; it ultimately wasn't a movie I'd otherwise have chosen to see twice in two days.) That also counts watching all but the first 15 minutes of my favorite movie Back to the Future; when I came upon it on Starz one day, I was unable to surf past without getting sucked in.

My 82 movies in 2013 was down a bit from 2012, but the 33 I saw at a movie theater was significantly up from the 21 of the year before. The opening of the local Alamo Drafthouse probably had a lot to do with that.

In terms of quality, 2013 had a tough act to follow. 2012 was a stellar year for movies, with every single movie ultimately ending up on my top 10 list an A or A- grade film. Although there are still a number of last year's movies on my "to see" list, it certainly looks as though 2013 is not going to be nearly as strong. Here is my current top 10 list, with links to my original reviews (and future plans to update the list when I come upon better movies):

1. Bridegroom
2. Before Midnight
3. Gravity
4. Much Ado About Nothing
5. Frozen
6. Kick-Ass 2
7. Saving Mr. Banks
8. Sexy Evil Genius
9. World War Z
10. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Generally, this seems to be the year for low budget indies. My top two, Bridegroom and Before Midnight (along with the fun-though-not-nearly-as-good Sexy Evil Genius) are very well made little gems. So far, the A or A- cutoff lands at the #5 slot, with Frozen.

I haven't seen too many of the likely Best Picture Oscar contenders as of yet. Gravity is a sure thing. Before Midnight is absolutely deserving, and even the type of film that many Academy voters would recognize -- but having been released so early in the year, it will likely be forgotten and overlooked. Saving Mr. Banks is the only other movie I can envision competing for the top prize -- though Bridegroom had better be in the hunt for Best Documentary, and Frozen had better take Best Animated Feature honors.

Here's to more great movies in the year ahead.

Updated (8-16-19):
1. Before Midnight
2. Bridegroom
3. Frozen
4. Philomena
5. Bad Words
6. About Time
7. Gravity
8. Blackfish
9. Blue Ruin
10. Jodorowsky's Dune

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm holding of off Before Midnight until I can binge watch all three together.

Other than that, I have only seen a miserable 3 off of this list, I need to get to work!

Anonymous said...

Each year I tell myself I should track the movies I watch -- and then I come upon your list and I remember that I'd be shamed into the ground.

Still, I'll try to do it this year.
See what you're making me do?

FKL