Friday, May 29, 2009

The Day of the Triffids

It's coming soon, now that some scientist has invented a device that lets your plants ask you to be watered. By text messaging you.

I'm already lukewarm at best on the whole text messaging thing, though I know a lot of my friends are into it. I can't get past the "there's a phone in my hand, can't I just call the person?" factor. So combine that with the creepiness of being nagged by a plant to be fed, and we have a Little Shop of Horrors for the new century.

3 comments:

Roland Deschain said...

Um - creepy. Quite simply I say:

If the plants are able to text message me...

Then they can frakking water themselves!

At which point I will probably make sure I no longer have plants in my house, foregoing the murderous rage of the African Violets on a quiet weekend evening...

Anonymous said...

I caught a Jay Leno bit where he was said something to the effect of "shouldn't emails and text messages have come *before* the phone? like, oh we have this new *phone* thing! now we can just call them up and talk to them!"

of course plants can't talk, so they'll have to settle for texting. and telepathy.

the mole

Jason said...

Just wait until we have to use the telegraph to communicate with our Mars colonies. Hope you've brushed up on your Morse code!