Thursday, May 21, 2009

Hold It... Or Don't

You may have noticed that, while I've given some low, low marks to a number of movies in reviewing them, I don't talk about turning them off (at home) or walking out (of the theater). I was just talking with some friends last night about how I just can't seem to give up on a movie, no matter how bad I think it is. In fact, the only time in the last, say, five years that I remember quitting on a movie was I'm Not There, which should tell you how bad I thought it was.

In fact, I don't even like to get up to go to the bathroom or anything in the middle of a movie. I want to see every single second of it. So this web site I discovered today really isn't for me.

But on the chance that it's a public service to any of you, let me point you to a new web site, RunPee.com. It just got started, it seems, but it plans to be a big catalogue of what times during a movie it's "safe" to get up and pee without missing anything critical.

I think there's still some work to be done here. For example, they'd have you miss Luke and Han shooting down TIE Fighters while escaping the Death Star in Star Wars. Though it would properly have you skipping out on mood-setting crap about 40 minutes into Jurassic Park, so there you go.

3 comments:

Roland Deschain said...

In the case of "I'm Not There," it would be more along the lines of:

At 2 minutes, 10 seconds, a case of food poisoning requiring 2 hours in a restroom would be appropriate. It would still be more interesting than a Bob Dylan movie.

Anonymous said...

I go as far as planning not to drink too much before the movie, so there won't be the uncomfortable shuffle in the seat. even if I have to go "a little bit" it's still very distracting from the movie.

I think it's the buffet effect. I paid to see this movie so I'm going to get my money's worth!

the mole

Anonymous said...

You mean getting up to go pee while at the theater? Why in the hell would I do this?
That's like reading a book and skipping a few pages at some random point. No frakking way.

FKL