Sunday, November 29, 2009

Bigger is Better?

I saw this ad in a magazine I was reading. It's for Stephen King's newest book, Under the Dome.

I found it curious that the selling point they chose to go with was "His biggest book since The Stand." As though "it's really long" is going to be a big attraction to most people. Could they not find any reviewer to offer a quote that it was maybe his best book since The Stand? Now that might be something to talk about. (Maybe. The end of The Stand really sucked.)

Come, read this new book! And afterward, you can sit your toddler on it to eat at the grown-ups' table!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The quote I've seen around here was "His most epic tale since The Stand," which made more sense.

FKL

Roland Deschain said...

I haven't started it yet personally, but a couple of people who have started it already have mentioned that it's one of his better ones in a while. What I found even more daunting was that the audiobook was $75!

Why? I looked at the fine print and found out. Because unabridged, it spans THIRTY cds for a running time of 34 hours, 29 minutes! Yikes!

Anonymous said...

That's what you get for being lazy, Roland.
Just read the damn thing already!
:)

FKL