Thursday, January 07, 2010

Encyclopedia Symphonica

I've had a Creative MP3 player for several years. At the time I bought it, iPods seemed exorbitantly expensive to me, and not really worth the money relative to their more reasonably priced competitors. But lately, that 30 GB capacity on the Creative has been bothering me.

This is a completely 21st century complaint. "It stinks that I can't carry every song I own with me everywhere I go at all times!" Hell, I didn't even have a CD player in my first (two!) cars, and did just fine with as many cassette tapes as I could cram in the glove compartment, under seats, in the side pockets, behind the sun visors, wherever. (Oh man... this has veered too far into "back in my day, sonny" territory.)

Anyway, there it is. I'm spoiled now. I got tired of deleting songs from my MP3 player just to make room for the new songs I was picking up. So I decided that I wanted to solve the problem "once and for all." (I write that in quotes as a sort of acknowledgement to the way that a few years from now, "all the space I'll ever need" will probably seem as laughable as the 30 GB does now compared to when I bought it.)

I picked up an iPod Classic. The 160GB model -- the biggest storage space they've got. None of that more hip iTouch stuff; those don't go bigger than 64GB right now, and that costs considerably more anyway. So anyway, now I can indeed have all my music with me whenever I want. And I can acquire three times as much music as I have now and still have all my music with me. So there.

It's not a flying car or a hoverboard, but it's pretty damn cool. And anyway, according to Back to the Future Part II, they've still got five more years to bring me those other things anyway.

2 comments:

Jared said...

Do you find you listen to the bottom 50% or 25% of your music? I had a 20gb Zen Touch but ended up getting an ipod touch as a psuedo-pda and found managing music syncs with playlists was far easier than with the Zen. What's also nice the ipod/itunes combination stores play & skip counts so eventually you can see what you do actually listen to & skip past.

DrHeimlich said...

Yeah, hard to say how much of that music I *really* need. But as you say, the iPod handles sorting so much better that it's probably worth it just for that.