Wednesday, January 06, 2010

An Imperfect Getaway

It was a few months back that the movie A Perfect Getaway was playing in theaters. At first, I thought I had a little interest in seeing it, but then I sort of heard bad reviews about it and let it slide. Well, I could have sworn that since then, I heard one of my friends tell me it was worth checking out.

Only now that I have, none of my friends are confessing to ever having seen it. I have no idea who I think it was that pushed me to this movie. Not that I'm looking for someone to blame (or praise) -- I just can't remember where the recommendation came from.

Anyway, this movie was written and directed by David Twohy, the same man who filled those roles for The Arrival and Pitch Black. I tell you, had I known that ahead of time, I'm not sure anything short of bribery could have got me to watch this movie; I hated both of those other films. But too late, I had it now -- might as well watch it before sending it back.

So, A Perfect Getaway is about a young newlywed couple played by Steve Zahn and Milla Jovovich, honeymooning in Hawaii. They hear about a Bonnie and Clyde, Natural Born Killers type of couple on a murder spree through the islands, just as they happen across two separate couples (on different occasions) that each put out some suspicious vibes. Are they they next target? And if so, who are the killers?

One of the couples is Timothy Olyphant (of Deadwood) and Kiele Sanchez (who had a short run on Lost). The other is Chris Hemsworth (James Kirk's brave father in the newest Star Trek) and Marley Shelton (who, if you know from anywhere, you probably know from Death Proof).

Much to my surprise, the movie actually gets some good mileage in the first act out of the "which couple is it?" game. But as the second act unspools, the movie quickly becomes uninteresting, a descent made faster because the script is altogether too pleased with itself. See, Steve Zahn's character is a screen writer himself, and a great deal of the dialogue revolves around movie writing structure, red herrings, and plot twists. Get it, people?! We're setting up for the final act!!!

And then something even more surprising happened. The final act was actually pretty good. Oh, it's ludicrously over the top, crazy violent, and runs perilously close to cheating the audience... but it is somehow entertaining. I really can't get any more specific than that without compromising half the reason to see this movie, and the half that remained wouldn't be enough to be worth it all on its own.

So all I can say is that if you have some patience for some long, rough patches, and can forgive a writer for thinking himself too clever (because maybe, just maybe, he is), then you'll probably enjoy this movie. I rate it a B- overall.

No comments: