Sunday, January 08, 2012

The Perspective of a Football Non-Fan

I'm not a football fan. Not even a little. Ordinarily, I don't begrudge the enthusiasm of those who are. But with Tebow-mania as a factor, I have to confess that a growing part of me was starting to root against the Denver Broncos. I just wanted the whole thing to be over and done with.

Then, this afternoon, I suddenly found myself actually rooting for the Denver Broncos. No, I didn't get caught up in any wave of fandom. I didn't even watch the game. Actually, I went out to run errands around town during the game. And that's when it hit me:

The roads were almost empty. The stores were virtual ghost towns. Everyone was at home, watching the game on television. So I got around and did everything I needed to do with a minimum of hassle.

What if the Broncos could keep it rolling another week? I'd get another opportunity to go out next weekend and do things unimpeded! How cool would that be?

And sure enough, Tebow apparently Tebowed hard enough, and the Broncos pulled out a win. I still don't like the guy, and the arrogance of believing in a God that would see fit to intercede in something as mundane as a professional sports game as opposed to some other, more worthy cause. And that He would do it on your behalf because you're somehow more deserving than the other team.

But it looks like I do get another easy shopping trip. I'd better start planning what I need to do.

2 comments:

Andy said...

For what it's worth, of all the people who claim God helps Tebow win football games, I've never gotten the impression Tebow was one of them. He's Christian, and he plays football, and as far as I can tell he keeps them more or less separate.

(This coming from someone who pays very little attention to Tim Tebow, though.)

Anonymous said...

Andy said...
For what it's worth, of all the people who claim God helps Tebow win football games, I've never gotten the impression Tebow was one of them.
********************************
This. Coming from someone who pays what I think would be a relatively significant amount of attention in "our" world, but admittedly insignificant amounts in the "real" world. I've even heard some of the commentators who talk about him non-stop admit that the Tebow-mania etc. isn't really Tebow's doing. Certainly in non-God ways I find him a breath of fresh air. In interviews he is ALWAYS talking about how the team came together to win the game, how the coaches put together a good game plan or made the right calls. I've yet to see him take credit for the wins personally.

If you watch/read interviews with him it is obvious that he is a Christian. Yes he prays a lot both on and off the field, but I'm willing to opine that the obsessed media makes sure you see Tebow praying... Tebow himself is just doing what he's doing and can't help if there are cameras on him. Keep in mind he probably thanks God for every meal, every day he wakes up in the morning, probably for every successful BM... of course he's going to take a moment to thank Him for an important event in his life.

I think a circle of players from both teams get together after every game to pray at mid field, and this has been happening for many years. The media just doesn't/hasn't made a big deal about it.

-JS (not Giguere)