Sunday, January 29, 2012

State of the Art

This afternoon, I went to see the film that most odds makers are backing for this years Oscar-winning Best Picture, The Artist. A silent film, shot in black-and-white and in the old style aspect ratio; a story commenting on the history of cinema and the downfall of silent movies? Sounds like just the sort of pretentious thing Oscar viewers would go for, doesn't it?

But the thing is, it turned out to be a movie I think could be enjoyed by a much wider audience. Get over the obvious barriers to the film, and you'll find it's actually quite entertaining. Within the stylish framework, the movie actually has interesting characters and an emotional story to tell. It's the story of a silent movie actor who is unwilling to sell out his sense of the art and convert to "talkies" as silent filmmaking is on its way out in the early 1930s.

The two lead performers, Jean Dujardin and Bérénice Bejo, aren't ones you'll likely know, but both carry the film wonderfully. They play within the silent conceit, heightening their acting just enough to push through without seeming hammy. And they're supported by a great cast including John Goodman, James Cromwell, Penelope Ann Miller, and a scene-stealing trained dog. There are also brief cameo-style appearances by Malcolm McDowell and Missi Pyle.

I liked the movie well enough that it will slide into the #7 slot on my list of 2011's Best movies. There are movies I liked better, but they aren't in the Oscar running, so I suppose this means that so far, The Artist is not only the likely winner, but my choice as well. As for my grade, I give it a B+. I'd hope for an Oscar winner I could give a higher mark to, but then again, there are many past Oscar winners I've thought a whole lot less of.

No comments: