Saturday, December 19, 2009

Not Bad at All

For a while now, I've heard fantastic things about the TV series Breaking Bad. I like the lead actor in it, Bryan Cranston. I liked Mad Men, another show on the same network.

In case you haven't heard the hype, here's the premise. A high school chemistry teacher is diagnosed with an advanced, terminal lung cancer. Faced with mounting medical bills and concern over leaving his family destitute after his death (with a pinch of "nothing matters anymore anyway"), he connects with a former washed-out student of his and starts cooking crystal meth to earn money. The show is a sharp drama and darkly comedic; it's also a venue where the writers can weave in some social commentary about medical insurance practices, drug culture, and dealing with terminal illness.

And it is a good show. But, in it's first season at least (which is all I've been able to see so far), it doesn't quite measure out to the probably unrealistic expectations I had going into it. While I'd call every one of the seven episodes in the short first season "pretty good," there was really only one that I thought took me on a real emotional ride that matched the intellectual ride of the rest.

I am planning to check out the second season when I can, and I would still recommend the show if you're willing to embrace some tough material. But at the same time, don't let me further add to any hype you may have heard about the show; I don't want to build it up any further. Overall, I'd give season one a B+.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm also "hooked" on this show. the first episode really drags you right into it. I like the realistic tone of the show, where they kill one guy and it's like a big deal for a long time. As opposed to other shows where they would kill somebody and then act like nothing happened one commercial break later. and they are not afraid to Whedon-it-up a bit and mess with main characters and make things unpredictable.

I won't hype up the 2nd season but I can tell you I'm still very interested to see where they wind up going with these characters.

now that I'm reminded about this show I can't wait until they start the 3rd season already!

the most amazing part of the show is Bryan Cranston. I can't believe he's the same guy as the Dad from Malcolm in the Middle. it's an even more extreme contrast than 24 and DS9 with Sherri Palmer and Kassidy Yates. I know it's the same actor but if I catch a rerun of MitM it still gives me a "wow I can't believe it's Heisenberg!" feeling.

the mole