Tuesday, January 03, 2017

2016 in Review -- Movies

Time to keep up an annual tradition here on the blog: a look back at the movies of the previous year.

My viewing was up a bit in 2016 -- I watched 88 movies last year (up from 71 in 2015). Well, that's 88 with an asterisk; one of those was Everybody Wants Some!!, one of the truly rare movies I disliked so much I couldn't even finish it.

In 2016, my Top 10 List could easily have been extended to a Top 12-or-So List. There were several solid movies I enjoyed that didn't quite make the cut. And, as always, the list might be updated down the road as I catch up on a few 2016 films that slipped through the cracks.

1. 10 Cloverfield Lane
2. 13th
3. Green Room
4. Sing Street
5. Rogue One
6. Captain America: Civil War
7. Eye in the Sky
8. Arrival
9. Sausage Party
10. Deadpool

The Oscar nominations won't be announced for a few weeks, but judging by the critics and the precursor award shows, there are three "sure things" for Best Picture, one of which is all but certain to take the prize. I've seen all of those already, and none of them made my list: La La Land, Moonlight, and Manchester by the Sea. Depending on how the rest of the nominees list looks when it's announced, this could mark a real break for me. I'm not sure my favorite movie of a year has ever been the Oscar winner, but usually two or three nominees make my Top 10.

Here's looking ahead to 2017.

Updated 3/1/2017:

1. 10 Cloverfield Lane
2. 13th
3. Green Room
4. Sing Street
5. Lion
6. Rogue One
7. Hidden Figures
8. Captain America: Civil War
9. Eye in the Sky
10. Arrival

No comments: