Thursday, March 09, 2006

Alpha Blog

I often listen to my MP3 player at work. Every one of the hundreds of CDs I own is in there, so it's quite a lot of music of a wide variety of types.

Usually, I have things on random shuffle. But every Friday, I've been downloading the newest Battlestar Galactica podcast. To listen to that, I have to turn off the "random play" and dial up that specific track.

A couple weeks ago, I forgot to switch things back to random come Monday at work. I was well into the "C"s before I realized that the player was dutifully playing every song I own in alphabetical order (starting off from "BSG").

I'm here to advocate this as a pretty cool way to listen to your music collection. I have yet to switch it back. In its own way, it's just as random as "random shuffle." But you get some fun, quirky realizations thrown in for fun:

There are a hell of a lot of things that rock bands "Don't" want you to do.

There's a metric buttload of movie scores with a track called "End Credits." That section of my music must have lasted over three hours.

I have no less than five different versions of "Every Breath You Take." I don't know how I happened to amass so many, but there you go.

Just think what things I might learn as I now cross over into the "F"s!

2 comments:

Shocho said...

When I burn CDs of random bunches of songs (like songs about shoes, for example) I sort them by time (length) from least to most. That puts things in an interesting order, often with rock opera-like crescendo-ish results. These are cool ways to listen to music that we'd never do with LPs or CDs. Computers are our friends.

DavĂ­d said...

For a second, I read that as you listened to the podcast on Friday before watching the episode. I did a double-take since you are Mr. I hate spoilers. Fortunately, a re-read just showed that you download it on Friday.