Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Incomplete Works

It's the ides of March, the day of the year where I pause briefly and think to myself, "you know, I really mean to read all of Shakespeare's plays someday."

You'd think with my theater background, I'd already have that covered. And I have read quite a few of Shakespeare's plays (including Julius Caesar, from which the famous quote about March 15th comes). But the truth is, I've really only covered about half of them. Basically, I've read none of the "histories," and have missed other various, lesser-known plays.

Since the last "ides of March," in fact, I haven't read a single new one. Not a very good pace if I ever seriously hope to get around to reading the complete works. There it sits, surrealistically right next to my "The Complete Far Side." (Why the odd placement? Because both books are freaking huge, and rest on the floor because they're too big for the bookshelf.)

Maybe there will be more progress by this time next year...

1 comment:

thisismarcus said...

Perhaps they're next to each other because they're alphabetized? :) I haven't read more than a dozen myself and I wonder what I'd really get out of a "cold" reading of a history play compared to when you study a play. I'm sure the subtleties would be lost on me.