Thursday, March 23, 2006

Stuck in the Past

In the parking lot of a government building near my office, you can pretty regularly find a car with this bumper sticker:

It's clearly not on a car that was around in 1968. Which leaves me with the perplexing question of just what message this car's owner is trying to get across. After much musing, I've chosen to believe it's a slam against people who are still driving around with George W. Bush or John Kerry bumper stickers on their cars. Those people seriously need to get over it. To the former: you won! Stop acting like an oppressed minority! To the latter: you lost! And if you don't want to do so again come 2008, stop living in the past and start thinking about what went wrong!

Anyone else derive some other message from the Kennedy bumper sticker?

7 comments:

Kathy said...

My guess is that's the last president they identified with.

Brad said...

I haven't seen the Kennedy bumbper sticker but I saw one the other day that said 01.20.09

Some forward thinking instead of backward thinking.

Shocho said...

"Kennedy in '68" refers to Bobby Kennedy, who was assassinated during the primaries for the 1968 presidential election. Not President Jack Kennedy. Some kind of time travel is at work here.

GiromiDe said...

I hate 99% of car adornments, but this one is hilarious.

Jono said...

I think you nailed it correctly - it's a jab at those other bumper losers.

I listen to Glenn Beck on my 20 minute drive home from work each morning... and he mentioned about two or three months ago about how the Bush '04/Kerry '04 bumper stickers need to get over it too.

And then he said, "And don't get me started with the Bush 2000, Dole 1996, Clinton 1996 or Gore 2000 stickers..."

Mkae said...

I think it's Ted Kennedy's waistband size.

Kathy said...

Did I mention that I also suck at history? I totally didn't grasp that this sticker was for Bobby and not John.

If it gives anyone a warm fuzzy, I did have a solo once during "Abraham, Martin, and John" and perhaps that moving experience was clouding my judgment.

Or maybe I just suck at history.

captcha: slazq...sounds like an insult. slazq you!