Wednesday, May 17, 2006

"Fun" With Michael

Well, I had let myself have just a glimmer of hope that some interesting character change had come about in Michael. I'd thought that maybe there was just some small chance that his motivations in these last two episodes of Lost had come from a true conversion during his time away, rather than a simple coercion. Sadly, it was not to be. Nope, instead Michael is still up to the same old boring schtick he's always had.

Michael is still staggering around the jungle screaming for Walt. I'm so far past giving a crap about this plotline I can't even express it. Walt has been gone for so long now that when he reappeared tonight, the child actor's voice had apparently changed. I can think of no other reason why they so blatantly and badly dubbed over all his dialogue.

Michael is still having flashback episodes that provide us with no real information we didn't already have. In the case of this episode, we all could pretty much guess what had happened to him while he was gone. Like I said, I wish I'd turned out to be wrong. But no, it pretty much went down exactly how you'd figure. (With one point of interest I'll come back to momentarily.)

Michael is still picking fights with the characters on the show we like the most. I don't recall him having a reason to fight with Sayid before, but damned if the biggest jerk on the island didn't find a way to start yelling at Sayid this week. (Though at least I ended up liking Sayid more in the end, for having figured out that Michael had been "compromised.") Oh, and he was going to start yelling at Hurley too, except Kate was there to tell him to stuff it.

As far as Michael's entire story in this episode was concerned, I found only one tidbit intriguing. That was the four specific people that he was asked to bring back to The Others.

First, there's the fact they had Sawyer's real name. This would seem to be consistent with the "list" that the tailies found in the dead Other's pocket on night one, which had names even the survivors themselves hadn't found out yet. Somehow, the Others have specific, clinical knowledge about who all these people from the plane are. How they got this information feels like it could be a rather important piece of the whole puzzle.

Secondly, what do Jack, Kate, Sawyer, and Hurley have in common? Well, to cut right to the point -- what's Hurley doing on that list? I think I can cobble together some common link between Jack, Kate, and Sawyer that might conceivably put them on a "list." But I start hearing Sesame Street's "One of These Things Is Not Like the Others" when I try to cram Hurley in there. (Or maybe that should be: "All of These Things are Wanted by the Others?")

Maybe we'll get some of these answers next week. Maybe Michael will end up dead in a ditch by the end of the season.

Naaah... more likely, we'll be stuck on some god awful cliffhanger, left to stew in frustration for four months.

4 comments:

Shocho said...

I think the Others are working directly for the Dharma Foundation, that's why they have all the extra info. Don't know why I think that, exactly.

The list of four is the leaders of the other group, and Hurley, who is worth $150 million. I'm not providing much to back that up either.

Another thread I read guesses that it's Desmond's boat.

Jono said...

Yeah... I think it is Desmond's boat. Would make sense since Desmond was taking a trip around-the-world.

That isn't the boat Michael wanted from the others in the backstory - he wants the boat from last season's finale where they took Walt.

Hopefully Michael will die next week... and save all of us a painful summer. On a good note, at least LOST won't be running repeats next year. They're going to run 7 episodes in the fall and then come back in probably February and finish it straight through to May ala 24.

GiromiDe said...

I think they want Hurley for his money, too.

I'm more interested in the links Libby had to everyone else, and whether she had or was a "bad twin."

Evan, as a father, I could myself acting somewhat as desperately in the same situation, but I certainly wouldn't try to alienate those around me. The first flashback set up Michael as a proud but pathetic person, so his behavior in this regard seems consistent.

I was a bit disappointed we didn't get any real motivation for murdering Ana-Lucia. I thought they brainwashed him to try to kill all the "bad people" from the plane. Perhaps they did in those nine days he was held captive.

I'm sure more than a few people were disappointed that Michael's extreme shock at shooting Libby seems to be just disappointment instead of, "Oh crap! I just killed a really important person!"

DrHeimlich said...

Oh don't get me wrong -- I can understand the single-mindedness of a parent whose child is in danger. I can only imagine how totally all-consuming it would really be.

But I don't think it makes compelling drama to watch week after week after week after week after week after week after week... it's a one-note song.