Monday, October 02, 2006

Another Monday Roundup

The busy TV night that is Monday is here once more. Here's my quick take on a few things from this evening.

Prison Break was decent, but sadly predictable this week. Last week's cliffhanger would have been a much stronger one to go out on a month-long break (for baseball) than this one. There was some good plot development, but the things that were supposed to surprise really didn't -- except maybe for Sucre's completely nonsensical actions at the end of the episode.

I have to take a moment and ask, how dumb is C-Note? I mean, he was arguably the stupidest of all the Fox River Eight. He'd been deceiving his woman about being in Iraq, and after escaping from prison, he thought they'd be able to reunite... how, exactly? Well, this week, he was literally ten seconds away from having half the other cons flee the house, taking with them a need to split the money extra ways. But no, he opened his big mouth about having reached the buried loot, cutting himself down to about (I figure) half the money he could have had. What a dumbass.

For once, the best line of the night did not go to T-Bag. Instead, Michael takes the honors with his quip about having to rob another bank.

I did check out Heroes one more time, and I was neither amazed nor totally put off. I still find the Indian professor a totally annoying means of delivering ham-fisted exposition; I think the static on the video tape of Vegas Mom's apparent psycho rampage was a pretty sad copout; I still don't find Hiro endearing. But, I am interested in Greg Grunberg's "washing out" cop character that was introduced this week (as I hoped I would be). And the introduction of a potential "super villian" that cuts open heads to suck out the brains might give the show a shot of something it really needs -- a unifying plot to bridge these separate stories. I guess this episode didn't really turn a corner for me, but was just good enough to string me along for one more episode. We shall see.

Studio 60, once again, was great. It was possibly the weakest of the three episodes so far, but that's really only because the bar had been set so high. It was still the "worst" of a very elite company. The issues were as intriguing as the first two episodes, the dialogue just as snappy, the jokes just as funny. There just wasn't quite as much of the emotion as the first episode (watching the meltdown of Judd Hirsch's character, and the rapport between Matt and Danny) or the second episode (the vivid depiction of the pre-show tension). Really, it's hardly a flaw worth mentioning. This show is still, hands down, the best of the new shows this season.

2 comments:

TheGirard said...

I was pretty impressed with Heroes, I do agree that the static was a copout. I bet they had it in there and someone told them to pull it at the last minute.

DavĂ­d said...

I liked this week's Heroes more than last week's as there was more actual development (more plot development than character development). I still describe the show as "Decent, but with a spark that intrigues me to keep watching."

I actually found the first episode of Studio 60 to be the weakest. Too much plot, not enough character moments. I would place last night's episode below two, but above the first.