Sunday, October 08, 2006

It's "Let's Go Out to the Movies" for a Reason

I had some interest in seeing Martin Scorsese's new movie The Departed, but I didn't work very hard at finding someone else to go with after my go-to movie-going friends were unavailable this weekend. And now I'm sitting here wondering, what difference does that make?

I watch movies alone at home all the time. But I can count on one hand the number of times I've been out to a movie theater by myself. Some sort of bizarre psychology is clearly at play here that says, "don't go out to the movies alone."

Is it some sort of societal conditioning that tells me going to a movie theater is not a one-person experience?

Is it the knowledge that going to the movies is generally such a miserable experience these days (with rude talkers, ringing phones, and the like) that it's just not worth the trouble unless you're "in it" with someone else?

Some other explanation?

5 comments:

Shocho said...

No that's all silly, just go. I have been to the movies by myself before. If you watch, you'll see other folks at movies alone. If that matters.

But you should ask us first, we'll probably go. Unless it's Moulin Rouge.

Aabh said...

Do you go to dinner at a restaurant by yourself? I've noticed I do neither of those things... It's kinda strange... Personally, I have resigned myself to the fact that should I have noone to go with, I won't go :)

Anyhow, you can always go with me... there's a great theater within walking distance of my apartment... of course, the ticket is a little expensive at $1500... and it's hard to get into a movie in English... but you are always welcome! :D

When I get back you'll have no problem at all convincing me. :)

Anonymous said...

I've noticed this strange movie psychology before. I never go to a movie by myself either. I guess I'm such a cheap-o that I can't justify the ticket purchase unless it's part of the social experience.

I also noticed that unless I see a movie it's opening weekend, there is a 99% chance I won't see it in the theatre...

the mole

Kathy said...

I wanted to write this before but I had the baby up and about at the time...

The common denominator in the activities that we are reluctant to do alone is that they are all "high school date" type of activities. It's ingrained in us that if we would have been embarassed to be caught not having a date to the _______ (dance, movies, dinner, etc.) then we forever and forever amen are unable to do alone without feeling a little queasy.

Anonymous said...

Misery loves company... if you are going to suffer the theater experience (or a long line at Good Times) you NEED someone else with you so you can at least say "oh my GAWD" with them afterwards.

Personally I just don't go to movies in the theater any more. The size/sound/whatever that make it a better experience is far overmatched by the flinging of poo by the other patrons.

Um... that's not literal poo-flinging... but it might as well be for its effects on my enjoyment.