Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Belated Oscar Thoughts

Earlier this week, I was playfully chastised for not writing anything about this year's Academy Awards. I'll rectify that now, although the truth is I'm not so sure I have that much to say -- for all the talk of how "tight" this year's awards might be, how "anybody could win" in many of the categories, everything ended up going to exactly who was predicted.

I'll start with the one possible exception to this: Alan Arkin's win in the Best Supporting Actor category, beating the presumed favorite, Eddie Murphy. But even this wasn't a surprise to some. As a friend of mine said, you can't underestimate the power of the "he's old; give him one" vote. I'd cite another factor, one contributing more to Eddie Murphy's loss than Alan Arkin's win: Norbit. This crap-tastic looking piece of fluff was being advertised heavily as "coming soon" during the voting period for the Oscars. I have to believe that many voters contemplating their ballots thought of those awful commercials for that awful movie (it ended up netting 10% over at Rotten Tomatoes) and decided "anyone but him" would get their vote.

Alright, possible "surprise" #2, as I've heard some voice it: the Best Foreign Film win by The Lives of Others (over Pan's Labyrinth). Now, I did not see The Lives of Others. And this is precisely the point. My understanding is that, unlike many of the major categories at the Oscars, voters in the Foreign Film category are required to have seen all the nominees. (Why this isn't required across the board, I don't know.) Every year, it seems like there's one foreign film that breaks out around Oscar time, getting a wide American theatrical release, and garnering a lot of attention. Some years, that also happens to be the most deserving film. Perhaps this year, it was not. The only way to know for sure would be to see this other, winning film.

So, those two longer trains of thought out of the way, here are a few more "thoughtlets" about the rest of the awards:

Ellen DeGeneres was a fine host. I didn't enjoy her as much as Jon Stewart last year, but she performed in her signature style, and would be a fine choice to host again in the future.

The Coppola/Lucas/Speilberg bit would have been a lot more funny, had it not been plainly obvious to all of us why George Lucas has not won a directing Oscar.

The Will Ferrell/Jack Black/John C. Reilly song was hysterical.

The Departed won Best Picture, as everyone knew it would. I think it was a decent enough choice. Some people I know will particularly applaud the choice. I'd still have preferred Little Miss Sunshine.

What was with all the flesh-colored dresses, and hair that looked like all the women had to walk through a wind tunnel before getting on stage?

Those shadow guys are freaky.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw Norbit and thought it was pretty funny in a classic Eddie Murphy type way. Not as good as Coming to America, but at least average if not a bit above. for once some of the best lines were NOT ruined in the commercials...
(funnier than advertised?)

the mole

Aussie-Askew said...

I mustn't have been paying enough pre-Academy attention, because although Scorsese was a shoe-in for the "thanks for all your hard work" director Oscar donation, I thought the Best Picture category was the one that was wide open. Little Miss Sunshine had a lot of little film that could" critical buzz in the press, so I thought that might get there. Although I loved Departed, I was a tad disappointed it won. Strange emotion!

Wholeheartedly agree on Arkin, and the Norbit factor. If only such crap-tastic looking films would stop making money. Look up the last four weeks of box office Top 5, and check their Tomato-meter ratings. It's scary!

Funny how many Oscars are decided by factors *not* related to the movie in question.

Anonymous said...

Ah, at last. I'll send my check to resume my subscription to Heimlich Maneuvers.

And yeah, everything was pretty much scripted (he!) this year. But it was still fun to watch. I miss Billy Crystal, though. I thought he was the best host. He could bite like a pro. Degeneres just did a little too much of "here I am being cute" during the evening.
And The Departed was good, but I didn't think it was the best movie of the year. But I guess there was no avoiding that one.

FKL