Saturday, February 17, 2007

Detour Ahead

Like my youngest brother and folks within my blog's gravitational influence, I not long ago reached that point where thrashing out to Guitar Hero (though still fun) was not enough. I decided to buy the real thing.

I bought a Godin Detour, exactly the color you see on the left. And since I picked it up about two months ago, I've been working fairly hard to learn to play it. It's coming along. Slowly. I've at least moved beyond the point where hearing me feels like this:


But I have to confess I'm still a ways from playing anything like a complete song that sounds good all the way through.

We'll see where things stand by the time Guitar Hero III gets released...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! And a Made-in-Québec guitar at that!! Wow.
I've played the piano for a long, long time now, and at some point I almost learned how to play the guitar, too. But because of the way guitar strings damage (and then reinforce) your fingertips, I had to choose: guitar, or magic (which requires at least very good -- if not extreme -- sensitivy at the fingertips). I opted for magic, and I'm happy with my decision. But sometimes I can't help dreaming of what could have been. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot to sign my comment:

FKL

Anonymous said...

And next time I fly out to help you move, you HAVE to play me something.
Otherwise I'll steal the moving truck.

FKL

Anonymous said...

"sensitivity"

Damn, I really ought to re-read my comments before I hit the POST butt

Anonymous said...

after first playing Tony Hawk so many years ago, I wanted to learn how to skate. but at the time I didn't have health insurance (yet) so I wasn't brave (or foolish?) enough to risk it...

I suppose guitar is much less hazardous, rock on!

the mole

Cush1978 said...

I've been playing guitar for nearly 15 years and I haven't done anything hazardous yet. It's a fun hobby.

Dave(id) said...

nice! lots of consistent practice and it'll come together....I think....it still hasn't for me :-)
I've found that practicing is also a good way to relax.