Friday, February 16, 2007

Wii Will Clock You

So, tonight I got to try out a Nintendo Wii for the first time. Lots of fun, I must say. But there is one particular thing the Wii does that I don't like at all.

There's a section of the operating system that keeps a calendar, cataloguing every minute you've spent playing your Wii, and on which games. Now, I already didn't really like those video games (usually console RPGs) that keep track of the time you've been playing.

"Yes, I know I've already blown 50 hours on this." It's so bad on multiple levels. You know exactly how much time you could have spent on other things. And you also know how much u r teh sux0r cuz ne n00b can finish it in half that that time.

And now you've got it not just for one or two games, but for your entire system. Yikes.

I must say, though, I liked just about everything else about the Wii. I'm definitely feeling the pull to not be the last kid on my block to have one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that calendar thing is mega OCD.
I don't like it either but imagine if you were a kid with strict parents using that to keep you in check?
"I told you ONE hour a day! and Wii says you played her for FIVE! you are sooo grounded!!"

I'm neutral about the gameclock in general. I don't really think of it as "wasted time pointed out" but for curiosity it's interesting to find out I played Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball for over 70 hours....

the mole

Shocho said...

Don't worry, Dr. I live on your block and I'll definitely be last. Or never.

I like knowing how long I've been doing something. I like stats. I want to know how long I played .hack or Xenosaga. That's how I know which game I've played the most in my lifetime.