Wednesday, May 09, 2007

The Man Behind the Curtain

Before I talk about this week's episode of Lost, let me "flashback" for a quick moment or two and talk about last week's episode, that aired the night I left on my trip.

The Brig was a great episode of Lost. Not surprising, as the Locke-centric episodes are usually pretty good. Although the clues dropped in previous episodes (going all the way back to season two) had pretty well informed us that Locke's dad was the "real Sawyer," the episode wasn't really about the surprise of that information, but about Sawyer's reaction when he finally found the man he was looking for. It carried all the dramatic weight we'd been expecting since we first learned of Sawyer's backstory, and so the episode was a winner.

Of course, the death of Locke's father basically tied up the emotional baggage both Locke and Sawyer were carrying. And that's a dangerous thing on The Island -- just ask Shannon, or Ana Lucia, or Eko, etc. etc. Which takes us to this week.

I'd long been anticipating the day we finally saw a Ben flashback. Of course, it took so long to get there that I was only likely to be disappointed. And I think I was. I think. The truth is, I'm left completely confused about just what I think about the episode.

Lost has often been a show that gives an answer without giving an answer, but I think at no time has that been more the case than tonight. We now seem to know what happened to the Dharma Initiative -- and yet we learned this without ever really having learned quite what the Dharma Initiative really was. An answer without an answer. An answer to a question we weren't really asking, actually, since we all pretty well believed that the Others were the Dharma Initiative.

Now enter the newest piece of the Lost chess game: Jacob. His name has been dropped before, as the "maker of the lists" of who was to be taken from the plane crash survivors. And now we have a little more to go with that name -- though, humorously enough, not a face. I'm not even sure I want to begin speculating about what Jacob is or might be, because the possibilities are practically endless. Is Jacob actually The Island itself? Is Ben some kind of schizophrenic telekinetic who actually is making Jacob up? Something else?

Is it just me, or did the "Other" that Ben first met in his flashback look just as young back then (some... I'll say 30 years earlier?) as he does on The Island today? What's that all about? Do the regenerative healing properties of The Island do even more for people who were actually born there? Or was that man conjured from the same place as Ben's mother? And if so, would that be from "the box" we've been hearing about lately? Again, so many possibilities, I can't even begin to set my brain in order.

I'm not even sure what to make of the final scene. Ben shot Locke. Once main characters started dying off around the end of season one, I convinced myself that there were four characters on the show so central to the dramatic underpinnings of this story that they could never be killed off: Jack, Kate, Sawyer, and Locke. So my first thought is: show me a body, and then maybe I'll believe it.

I started casting around in my mind for scenarios where Locke will be okay. We know he's favored by The Island, so maybe he can be healed. We saw last week that Rousseau might be following him around The Island; maybe she'll come along to help?

But then, Locke's backstory certainly seems wrapped up at this point. Could this really be the end of him? The double shooting of Ana Lucia and Libby last season certainly showed us that death can come swiftly and unceremoniously for main characters.

Two more episodes to go before season three is at an end.

4 comments:

GiromiDe said...

Whew! Where do I start?

John Locke won't die. If his backstory is neatly wrapped up, which I don't think it is, this only means that what he does on The Island henceforth will be more important. Besides, there are likely more nooks and crannies to his backstory that can be milked in future episodes. Hopefully, they'll be a bit more interesting than hanging out with marijuana farmers.

I tried to see the face of Jacob on my DVR last night after painstakingly finding the right frame. What I saw a long-haired man mostly in shadow. I dare say he almost looked "Biblical."

I've made no secret that I think The Island is Satan's prison. (I realize that flies in the face of Cuse's and Lindelof's "no supernatural" statement, but anything they say should be taken with a grain of salt.) What happened in The Black Shack last night didn't appear to be anything BUT supernatural. That this force has chosen a significant Biblical name shouldn't be ignored.

This episode might not have carried the same dramatic weight as The Brig, but it did put Ben in a situation that was almost out of his control. He's threatened by Locke -- by any of the "wild cards" from Flight 815. I wouldn't be surprised if Locke replaces Ben by the end of the finale. I'm pleased the writers made Ben as "wounded" as the Flight 815 survivors, and I couldn't help but notice Ben personally killed his father just as he asked of Locke.

One thing to take from this is that Ben really isn't pulling all the strings after all. He's just good at manipulating people, but his manipulation has limits. He's beholden in some way to the Natives and Jacob. He's only the Others' leader because the Natives were only able to get the upper hand on Dharma through him and he's the only one so far to talk to Jacob.

GiromiDe said...

Oh, and on the wife front... she wanted to bitchslap Jack at least thrice during his brief scene at The 815 Camp. But she's happy that Nestor Carbonell is popping up in more episodes. Now she has Nestor and Josh Halloway to fawn over. Awwwww.

Allen G said...

I don't see Locke dying - he's too important to the Others plotline. Especially now that we're seeing that some of them will disobey Ben over Locke (Tom was a surprise for me.)

I found it pretty amusing to see everyone's guesses for Jacob's identity - looked like Hanso to me. (Lostpedia is a good source for images to compare to).

Now, why he's invisible/incorporeal/sitting alone in a cabin? Beats the heck out of me. :)

Mkae said...

Locke was shot in the left kidney.

Oh, wait. ;)

He ain't dying today. A final parting gift from his bastard father.