Thursday, May 24, 2007

A Matter of Time

Sarcasm just doesn't work well in print. Case in point, this Letter to the Editor published in an Arkansas newspaper a month ago:


Now maybe some snobby prejudice of mine about people from Arkansas (despite the fact I don't personally know any) made me jump to this conclusion, but I swear my first reaction was: what a complete moron! But then I thought twice, and went to the ultimate arbiter of urban legends, Snopes.com. They've got the full story on this letter. Sarcasm. Apparently, from someone who has been known to write these sorts of sarcastic missives to newspapers and such.

Well, all very clever. But I say be careful. One must be very precise in using sarcasm in writing. It's much less ambiguous when spoken.

I say this even though I'm a big fan of sarcasm. No, seriously. Really, I am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's all about the emoticons :-P
maybe newspapers should start using them?
!_!

the mole

GiromiDe said...

But the same people who write sarcasm seem to be the same people who decry emoticons and "spoiling the whole thing." You can't win.