Monday, June 30, 2008

The Mole, Week 5

I'd say that tonight was a fairly tame episode of The Mole... except then there was that ending in which Kristen, basically my one and only candidate, was executed! Now I'm back to square one. But let's take things in order.

The first challenge, All For One, was an intriguing setup. This game was more about trust than any that's come before, and it comes deep enough into the game that trust is at an all time low. Basically, I think it was another game in which the Mole didn't have to lift a finger. I would have bet money that there was no way all seven players would escape without someone taking the exemption. And so all the Mole had to do was take the key and walk away when his or her turn came, resting confident that the remaining players would screw each other after you left them.

Except they didn't! So that was my first shock of the evening. And I suspect it came as quite a shock to the Mole as well.

Then there came a long chunk of interpersonal drama. This was much more normal "reality show" fare, and wasn't about the gameplay that The Mole delivers so well. But I can't say I was disappointed by it, because it culminated in that hilarious impromptu song by "Van #2" about being "Paul free." That was just awesome.

Of course, it turned out there was a very good reason so much of the episode was devoted to drama outside of a mission: the last mission ended practically before it began. Everybody banded together and quit, giving Craig the exemption. Color me floored for the second time tonight that not a single one of the players was willing to even attempt the task assigned to them. Everything I said two weeks ago, about how coming on this show means checking your dignity at the door, still applies. I can't understand not even attempting the task, even if you're the Mole.

But again, it means that the Mole didn't have to do anything in this mission -- just go along with the crowd. So to sum up, I think it would be virtually impossible to look at either of these two missions and form suspicions about who the Mole is.

Except that I think I'm now bound to try, because Kristen's gone! So let's face it -- I'd be out of this game now, having completely frakked up last week "taking my quiz" with the assumption it's her, and having had the odds go against me on that on almost every question. (Oh, as a side note, I found it very gratifying to hear not one but two players talk about the strategy of "playing the odds" tonight.) But let's pretend that somehow, I'm still in the game. Time to get me a new candidate.

The strongest evidence I think you could use at this point would be to know that both last week with Victoria's execution and this week with Kristen's, the results came down to a tie. If you knew who either of them thought was the Mole, you could absolutely eliminate that person as a suspect. Of course, the show was edited too carefully to give us that information outright.

It turns out that the Mole is off next week, returning July 14th with a "recap with new footage" and the 6th installment. So I think I'll plan on reviewing "where I went wrong" and coming up with a new theory during the missing week.

Until then, I'd love to hear what you handful of Mole watchers are thinking now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

where's my "journal" when I need it? (burnt up I guess.) I think I figured something out, but I can't remember who was in the sled with Nicole during her green apples-green apples stunt. I think that was her own test to see if The Mole would take the bait and not double check her repeating. which is why they produced the episode to down-play that incident. though I can't remember, if said person is still around, that would be my candidate... (and Nicole knows it too!)

other than that, what a weird episode. on one hand, the possibly-manufactured "I NEED my journal/burning of the journals" gives great motivation to have Mike grab that exemption (and act mad and untrustworthy.) nobody would have blamed him yet he added money to the pot. and the lame "I have something green in my pocket" mint wrapper joke was not Mole-worthy material...

the whole last non-challenge was very strange also. obviously it was impossible to walk that far in the "horses-ass" tandem suit in such a short time. while they didn't even try, I can understand the logic behind not trying. but again, like the bricks up the mountain, they should have tried a more clever solution. these things are PUZZLES people!

the mole

Anonymous said...

(Mole guy: Nicole was riding in the sled with Alex, if memory serves.)

My three suspects were Kristen, Alex and Clay. This leaves me with just Alex and Clay! I was rather surprised to see Kristen go. And so were a number of other contestants, from the looks on their faces.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty bizarre (and disappointing) that everyone gave up before even trying on the second mission. I mean, come on. What's so embarrassing about walking up a road dressed in armor next to a donkey? Or walking on stilts? It's not even a populated spot -- they most likely would not have encountered anyone on their trek. WTF?
But even more strange was the quasi-hatred everyone seemed to have for Craig all of a sudden. When a team decides to carry less bricks in order to get an exemption (although that means less money in the pot), everyone's fine with that. When Kristen and Mark try their damnest to reach the summit in order to get an exemption (but no money for the gang), that's fine. But when Craig decides to go for the exemption --while still leaving them an out! -- everyone gives up and starts bitching and moaning and behaving like this was the most degrading thing they've ever been asked to do.

Everyone, that is... except for Alex. Now when every single player decides to mutiny and only ONE tries to play the game, that's suspicious (in a reverse-Mole kind of way).
If I had to choose between him and Clay, I would be on Alex. But I'm not writing Clay off just yet... Although I guess, at this stage, I'd have to pick someone and stop playing the odds. So I'll go with Alex as my official Mole candidate.

FKL

DrHeimlich said...

I agree with both of you -- Alex looks like a decent candidate right now. Except that he's been so forthcoming with his command of Spanish, and it has helped them on a few occasions. Gotta keep mulling it over...

Anonymous said...

I can't see why all of the blog entries that I've seen seem to discount Paul as a candidate. During one of the early episodes he said he wanted to cast suspicion on another player. That seems like molish behavior to me. The mole wouldn't want to cast suspiscion on himself.

Doesn't Paul always seem to be stirring things up?