Thursday, June 19, 2008

Personality Conflict

Just two days ago, I was reviewing the game Wii Fit. Tonight, the game threw me a couple curve balls. Nothing to alter my overall opinion of the game, I suppose, but things I definitely would have mentioned before.

First... I should have mentioned that the Wii Balance Board itself is a "character" in the game. He/she/it shows up on screen to preside over your "Body Tests," offer you fitness tips, and generally be a Little Scamp.

Tonight, this character reminded me that my friend's birthday is coming up next Tuesday, and suggested that maybe I should throw him a surprise party. It's pulling the birthday information from the Mii my friend created and played at my place, I know exactly how it's working and all... but it still weirds me out that conceptually, this piece of plastic is telling me to throw surprise birthday parties for my friends.

Secondly... there are also characters in the game of a male and female "personal trainer" to guide you through various exercises. One of the things you can do (after unlocking it) is to challenge your personal trainer to see who can do the most push-ups, jack knifes, or what-not.

So tonight, I pick one of those activities, and the trainer comes on and tells me, "I'm not feeling up to it right now. Come back later, okay?"

Okay, first of all, you're a game, punk! When I say play, you play, dammit! Rock Band doesn't tell me, "you know what, I'm really sick of that song, pick something else." Mario Kart doesn't tell me, "really, that track; wouldn't you rather pick something else?"

And more to the point, this is supposed to be a simulation of a personal trainer. And not that I have any actual experience with a real personal trainer, but I can't imagine one going, "you know what, I'm just not up to it today; come back another time."

Sure, I get it. Make the game cutesy and all by giving it personality. Why these personalities?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

it was politely telling you that you've had enough exercise for the day, and maybe the challenge was not part of your prescribed regiment? the game lets you know when you're supposed to take breaks or something. but I think a real trainer might have told you the truth instead of trying to be cute about it. but that's really weird, like the DDR mat yelling "get off me! you've been dancing for hours! enough already!"

and the birthday thing is very twilight zone. but again, Wii Fit knows that exciting activities (like surprise parties) are "good" for you. it gave my brother eating advise (chew slowly) maybe the thing is psychic? I sense a movie plot somewhere here...

the mole

Shocho said...

Sometimes one of the tips you get on the loading screen for WoW is that you should take an occasional break.

However, I would totally fire that trainer.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me a bit of when I played the very first You Don't Know Jack. Very limited budget and technological means, but they threw everything they had at you.
And one thing the game did was tap into the computer clock once in a while.
I remember when I sat down to play a game on Mothers' Day and the host, right before launching the "show," asked me if I'd remembered to call my mom before playing a stupid game.
Weird.
Some time later, I sat down to play a solo game on a Saturday night. The host comes up and says I'm a moron for not having friends to play with on a Saturday night.

Like you, I knew exactly how the whole thing worked, but it still freaked me out a bit.
Like the computer host could somehow "see" what was going on around me.
Well done (like almost anything in those games -- remember the fiber-optic field trip? Incredible stuff.)

FKL

Roland Deschain said...

"#2 A robot must obey orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law."

And thus, by violating the 2nd law of robotics, the Wii consoles of the world have begun the robot uprising...via an exercise game program. Who'd have thunk it?

I'll be out purchasing guns and reading my copy of "How To Survive A Robot Uprising" if anyone needs me.

:P

Jason said...

Wait until "Wii Sex" comes out.

"Not tonight, dear, I have a headache."

"Have you been seeing a PS3? Don't lie to me!"

"Again? Woman, I'm not a machine! Oh wait, yes I am."

Jared said...

Ok, so, I found a new level of oddness. My wife & sister-in-law have profile set up on wii fit as well. I turned it on to play a little bit before doing homework and it says "its been a while since Rachel has excercised. How do you think she looks." Then it gave me four choices. I don't remember exactly but they were something like more tone, thinner, the same and something else that I can't remember exactly that wasn't too, bad, but meant that she needed to exercise.

Jared

DrHeimlich said...

mole -- Nice theory... exept I'd played exactly 4 minutes that day at the point the trainer said, "come back later." (shrug)

FKL - Love love lovelovelove You Don't Know Jack. Nuff said.

roland -- I'm bustin' a gut laughing right now.

Jason -- Wii Sex could be some kind of HBO show, I think.

Jared -- I love how if you tell it "looks the same," it says something like, "oh... change is so much more exciting, don't you think? Maybe you're just not paying enough attention to [name here]."