Sunday, December 07, 2008

Nice Boots

Here's one of those sappy stories to make you go "awww...." about a woman who found a pair of boots at a thrift store stuffed with cash. She's attempting to find the boots' original owner, and says that if she can't find that person, she'll be donating the money to charity.

Whatever.

The part that interests me is how the boots could have been donated without the money being found sooner. I must assume that the former owner would have to have known what was inside. That leads me to think that they were turned in by someone else with access to the boots. Maybe a spouse giving them away without knowing what was inside? Maybe the owner died and relatives just gave away all her clothes without ever checking inside the boots?

And how were the boots not checked by anybody affiliated with the thrift store before they were put out on sale?

Should I be going to thrift stores and checking inside things for hidden treasure?

Will you expect me to give anything I should find to charity if I do?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

If you buy the boots and happen to find hidden treasure I expect you to try to find the original owner and/or donate the find to charity.

If, on the other hand, you go from thrift store to thrift store sticking your hands in the boots... that falls under the category of "jobs I don't want to have at any price" and you should certainly keep the treasures you find. (Just don't expect me to ever shake your hand or share a bucket of popcorn with you.) :-P

Shocho said...

C'mon, you're never going to find the owner of the money. I found $51 cash in the parking lot of a Best Buy once. I considered walking into the store and saying, "Anybody lose some money?" but realized that wouldn't work. I admit that giving it to charity never crossed my mind. (Maybe it will now.) I bought a PS2 game that absolutely sucked ass, so I learned my lesson that way.

Anonymous said...

yeah "who lost some money?" is never going to work. and do we expect some kind of Cinderella glass-shoe fitting circus?

"I swear those were my boots" (tries on boots... don't it)
"darn it!"

depending on how much money it was, I think I'd just throw an epic party for all of my friends. that's kind of like charity, right?

the mole