Friday, December 05, 2008

Weapons of Mispronunciation

Speaking of politics (as I was yesterday), I actually get a little enraged whenever I hear one of our politicians say "nuke-ya-ler," as opposed to the correct "nuclear." I don't direct this at any one politican in particular, though I don't think you need me to point out a few well known ones who do it all the time.

I think some of them might actually do it on purpose because some handler told them it sounds "folksy" or some crap. It doesn't. What it does is make them sound four years old. This is like a toddler referring to his or her pasta as "skabetti" or "pasketti." When you're under the age of about eight, this sort of thing is cute.

When you're a full grown adult, and ostensibly one of the people whose job it is to keep us safe from weapons you can't even pronounce correctly, you sound mentally deficient to me.

This isn't a "COO-pon" vs. "CYU-pon" thing, or a question of whether you call it "pop" or "soda." There is only one pronunciation of the word "nuclear," and anyone who can't get it right shouldn't hold public office.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't stand when people use the same phrase after everything, you know what I mean? like they can't help themselves, you know what I mean? usually if I hear it a few times, I alert them to the repetition, you know what I mean? because I just think it's polite to let them know in case they were not aware of it... (pause) you know what I mean? (or as some people slur it; nah-mean?)

and whenever I hear someone say Nuc-ya-ler I always correct them, too. a habit I might have picked up from the old Jack Bauer nights and his constant mispronunciations.

the mole

Jared said...

I no longer have ANY problems with misprunciations. 2 things in my life prevent me from caring (for my own sanity).


1. Growing up in a very rural town, if it was even big enough to call a town, where at the county fair they sell "I'm a Hocking county redneck and proud of it" t-shirts. There are 100's of pronunciations for everything there.

2. Playing CCGs, especially star trek. I've seen so many people get worked up about the pronunciation of stuff like Ikat'ika to the point of blood boiling, and its just not worth it.

Roland Deschain said...

I only really have one that bothers me - because my mom and grandparents always said it.

The word is: wash. I am washing dishes.

The word is NOT: warsh. I am warshing the dishes.

I don't know why, either. I always corrected them - and they finally stopped one day after I asked them to show me where the "R" is in that word when they write it down.

I'm ok since then. :P

Anonymous said...

Wow, talk about synchronicity.

To make a long story short: on my favorite boardgaming site, Boardgamegeek.com, you can setup a "Geeklist." A Geeklist is essentially a list of games tied together by a common characteristic. Or it can also be a list about anything, so long as you use games to represent it (you'll see).
People can comment on the items on your list, and even add their own if you let them.

Well, I set up one such Geeklist last Thursday, and people have been adding to it like crazy.
The subject matter of the list is almost exactly the same one addressed here. Talk about crossing the streams...

Here it is:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/37334

FKL