Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Abort Mission!!!

I thought I might want to see this weekend's new release, The Last Airbender. I like M. Night Shyamalan's films. (Well, okay -- maybe not so much The Happening, but yes, I did actually like The Lady in the Water.) I'd been kind of thinking that maybe tackling a movie that was not from an original idea he conceived might be a good change of pace. Creatively stimulating for him, hopefully.

Then this happened. 6% at Rotten Tomatoes (at the time of this posting), and the critical blurbs range from "orgy of exposition" on the kind side to "I believe M. Night can ruin the world" on the savage side.

Yikes. Forget it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

agh I was also looking forward to this movie, and am also horrified by the review buzz.

from my glancing knowledge of the show and the movie's commercials, it looked like those fight scenes would have been epic super cool. I might still go see it since I'm such a fan of cool fight scenes, but my expectations for plot have been obliterated.

the mole

Roland Deschain said...

I got more interested by the commercials...then I read 4 reviews this morning, including Roger Ebert's. All of them hammer the flick on the same things, so the damning is really consistent.

The ones that sealed the deal:
"M. Night Shyamalan's THE LAST AIRBENDER is a hate crime against film lovers." -Aint It Cool

and

"I fully went into this week believing that even if M. Night failed, he wouldn’t have failed so miserably as to make ECLIPSE look like the better choice. But that’s exactly what he did. This is a catastrophic failure." -Aint it Cool

and

"The Last Airbender" is an agonizing experience in every category I can think of and others still waiting to be invented. The laws of chance suggest that something should have gone right. Not here." -Roger Ebert

Damn...

Anonymous said...

I thought The Sixth Sense was genius, I wasn entertained by Unbreakable, Signs was okay, and I didn't see the rest...
But this one sounds positively disgusting.

Count me out.

FKL

Anonymous said...

Of course if you listen to reviews and critics you miss some real classic awesome films like WATCHMEN. :o)

- do I have to sign this?