Sunday, June 27, 2010

Creepy Crawlies

Friday morning/afternoon, I noticed this nasty array of bug bites on my left side -- three on my arm, and seven on my calf. I assumed it was from being out playing disc golf the night before, but I had no memory of stumbling into any kind of angry hornets' nest or such.

By Saturday, they had flared up into some truly angry red marks, especially the ones on my leg. Seriously, they look like burn marks. My friends posited another theory: they looked more like spider bites than stings, and being all on one side, perhaps it had happened in my sleep.

Okay, I don't want to admit that sounds right, because I freaking hate spiders. It makes my skin crawl (not just break out in a rash) to think that as I slumbered away, some spider -- or spiders! ack! -- took TEN bites out of me. Needless to say, I washed those sheets immediately, but I still checked the bed thoroughly before I fell asleep last night.

Today, the bites look to have improved a little tiny bit, but only if you knew how ghastly they looked before. It's taking my full attention and willpower most of the day not to scratch them raw. But they seriously look like I already have been. I have never seen anything like it.

I'm waiting for my superpowers to manifest now.

2 comments:

Jared said...

I got a spider bite once when I stayed at a camp meeting cabin. I was in high school & my parents had me go to the ER cause it was swelling. It was just under my middle finger, which swelled the most. The doctor gave me some stuff and told me I had to keep my hand elevated so I was walking with it up in front of me. The way it swelled, my middle finger was sticking straight up & my other fingers would hang back enough to look like I was flicking everybody off at camp meeting.

Anonymous said...

Well, maybe it's TEN spiders and they each took one bit out of you, Orient-Express style.
Now THAT's creepy.

FKL