Friday, June 04, 2010

Game On

After a family viewing today, the funeral service for my brother-in-law is tomorrow. Losing someone so young has certainly sparked a lot of thinking for me, and tonight it spurred on some conversation among my friends as well -- in particular, talk of the "what are your wishes" variety.

One of my friends mentioned that he'd heard of somebody having his ashes made into frisbees. And I just had to come home and look it up. It's true! In fact, it's no less than the man considered to be the father of disc golf, who made very clear his desire to be made into discs so that he could keep on "playing." In fact, you can actually purchase a set of these discs for yourself -- though at $200, they don't run cheap.

I don't want to own discs made from the ashes of a complete stranger, but if someone I knew wanted to play with discs of me -- and I mean, actually use them, I think that would be rather nice.

But first, before you cremate me and make me into discs, you are required to make sure that I have not fallen victim to a paralytic spider or snake bite (a la Lost Season 3 or Stephen King's "Autopsy Room Four"), or some kind of Haitian voodoo (a la The Serpent and the Rainbow).

2 comments:

Roland Deschain said...

The absolute best part of the Amazon page for the memorial discs: "Limited number of disc sets made."

Um...yeah. I really think that goes without saying, actually.


And for the reference of those who may not know the whole Serpent and the Rainbow thing....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Serpent_and_the_Rainbow_%28film%29

But I will promise that as my friend, I will not be sticking a needle in your eye to see if you're still alive. Obviously a bad test.

Anonymous said...

how much for one of these? 2 bars of Gold-Pressed Latinum? funny that Star Trek has forecast so many futuristic concepts like cellphones and voice interfaced PCs, but the Ferengi tradition of selling remains as collectibles?! who would have thought THAT?!

the mole