Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Comeback

Tonight's installment of Glee did entertain me as usual, though it did feel to me like a weaker story where the actors had to do some extra heavy lifting to "get it there." It was definitely a made-to-describe-in-a-commercial premise: Sue joins the Glee club! But it turned out not to be nearly so sensational; she really just provided wordless reaction shots to songs like the rest of the gang, and then joined in a group finale that didn't actually showcase Jane Lynch singing.

Then of course, there was Bieber to contend with. I've now heard exactly two Justin Bieber songs, thanks to Glee. I don't resent the choices on principle; I just thought that both seemed like rather lackluster selections. The quartet in particular was really a perfect example of what I meant about the actors having to put some extra oomph into it.

I'm of a very mixed mind about the next song selection, "I Know What Boys Like" from one-hit wonders, The Waitresses. I've always hated that song because of the nasally, off-key vocals. And yet, as a character choice for Lauren, I have to admit, it worked. I'm definitely still enjoying the Puck-Lauren storyline.

On the opposite end of the song choice spectrum was "Take Me or Leave Me" from Rent, which completely failed as a selection to reflect on character or plot. A break-up song they should be singing to each other somehow appropriated for a diva-off? I didn't buy it, though I did think the performances were strong from Lea Michele and Amber Riley (as usual).

It was a pretty strong sprint to the finish from there, though. Santana delivered a monologue stuffed with more fantastic turns of phrase than most characters get in a whole season, and with it inserted herself into what I suppose is now a "love hexagon?" Ah, high school. And then there was the My Chemical Romance finale, which showcased the powerful group harmonies that have been key to some of the best Glee tunes. Not to mention the tantalizing notion that the Glee gang might actually sing an original song for Regionals? (Take that, Community!)

Overall, I'd say it averages out to a B-. Not Glee in its finest form, but still, Glee I'm happy to enjoy.

No comments: