Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Taking Back the Black

You have to be very careful what you say when you have devoted fans. Or when you're Nathan Fillion. Doubly so if both. (But this is a problem most of us won't have to wrestle with.)

In a brief interview with Entertainment Weekly last week, Nathan Fillion was speaking of his passion for Firefly. Speaking non-literally, I would assume, he said that if he won $300 million in the lottery, he'd use it to buy up the rights to Firefly, and proceed to make it again on his own dime.

Many fans, of course, chose to take this literally, starting up a campaign pledging money for him to do just that.

Now don't get me wrong. I love Firefly more than the next guy. But our beloved Captain Tightpants was speaking poetically about the show I think of on a weekly basis when I think, "Castle is okay and all, but really, this show is a hit and no one would give the brilliance of Firefly a chance?!" Actually, this article explains rather neatly why this doesn't actually have any chance of working.

Though the same article also mentions a former producer and writer of Firefly, who instantly offered up their own "I'll be there"s if Serenity should ever take flight again. It also mentions how the ratings Firefly pulled when it was canceled would be more than respectable for a network show today.

Sigh.

3 comments:

CK said...

Crowdsourcing can work. Look at Egypt.

Darrell said...

As much as I love Firefly, I must admit that I'd be nervous about it coming back. Even if they got the whole cast and crew together, with Joss at the helm... I just don't think they can recapture that magic. Whatever came of it would be incapable of living up to the hype. It could only disappoint.

Jason said...

I think it's inevitable that it will come back someday, in some form. It's just got too much of a fan base for someone not to give it a shot 10, 15, 20 years down the line. Look at all the other shows, sci-fi or no, that have been remade as movies or come back as new TV series. This one's going to happen, it just probably won't be for a while.