Friday, February 04, 2011

Velvet?

My new job is on the other side of the interstate from downtown Denver "proper," although there's a handy little pedestrian bridge you can take to get over the highway. But this being Denver, it's not just a bridge. No, somebody had to offer up their entry in the "statue freakier than that demonic airport horse" contest. This 20-foot tall Lovecraftian ode sits at the far side of the bridge:



According to the plaque on the pedestal, it's called "National Velvet," but I think "Giant Pile of Intestines" would be more accurate. I suppose if you haven't recently watched a horror film, you might instead interpret as "Huge Stack of Water Balloons," though I'm not sure why you'd put up a sculpture of that either.

And just to up the ante, I'm told that at night, the statue glows from within with a pale light. So "Giant Pile of Radioactive Intestines," then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow I'm um, sorry I missed that when I was out there a couple weeks ago. that is serious nightmare imagery for sure. you have to wonder how that stuff gets approved or not immediately taken away if it was approved merely on commission of a "trusted" artist.

there was an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where the Mom was trying to do art and made a sculpture that unintentionally looked like a giant vagina (which was funny they "got away with it" on network TV!) so obviously there is president for the city council person to be like "what big pile o guts? I don't see it..."

the mole