Sunday, October 23, 2011

Active Avoidance

Many movie critics and entertainment journalists have written articles over the past few years praising the virtues of going to see a movie on the big screen. As prices rise and theater-goer manners plummet, some people feel compelled to take up a battle cry and say that going to the movies is still an experience worth having. And me, I mostly buy it; there are plenty of movies that I want to go see in the theater.

But I'm also thinking that there are some movies that are better suited to viewing at home.

I was discussing this weekend's new movie, Paranormal Activity 3, with my boyfriend. We've both seen the two prior films. We both enjoy scary movies. But we decided not to go to the theater to check this one out. And that came about from us comparing notes on those past experiences.

When I went to see the first Paranormal Activity, it was still a month or so before it actually opened nationwide. At that point, a guerrilla marketing was in full swing, trying to build up word of mouth about this low budget independent film. The movie was being screened only in a few cities (mostly college towns), and only at midnight. You had to work to see this movie, and I drove up to Boulder to do so. And I did enjoy that experience (obviously enough to then want to see the sequel a year later), but it didn't blow me away.

My boyfriend, on the other hand, watched Paranormal Activity alone in his house at night. Like me, he enjoyed it without being wowed. But then, the movie ended. And with no "decompression time," he was... alone in his house at night. Wait. What was that noise? Was it the cat? Was it the furnace? Was it something coming from... the attic?

I must say, the "immersive" experience sounded a hell of a lot more appealing to me than the "saw it first" experience. Not to mention, "saw it first" doesn't even apply here -- Paranormal Activity 3 was far and away the number one movie this weekend. Tons of people saw it.

So, despite the good reviews that critics have unexpectedly bestowed on the film, I've decided not to see it. I think this is one to wait for on DVD a few months down the road.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you.

I'll also add this: when you go see a movie in the theater, you're actually using your money to *vote* for more of the same. (Yes, you're still doing that if you rent it out on DVD, but to a much lesser degree.) You're telling the power that be that you want more movies like the one you paid to go see.

Essentially, for me to go see a movie in a theater, I have to think I'll like the movie (duh) AND that I'll want more movies like it.
If I don't get to check both those criteria, then I stay home.
(Of course, I might decide to anyway because a bunch of friends are going and I think it'll be fun regardless, but you get the gist of my general rule of thumb).

As for *this* particular movie? I sort of enjoyed the first one... for a while. I'm really not a fan of pseudo-scary movies where nothing actually happens and it's all in your head (or behind closed doors). So I didn't see #2, and I'll probably don't see #3.
See? If they make a #4, it won't be because *I* voted for it.
:)

FKL