Monday, October 24, 2011

A Fright Night at the Movies

'Tis the season! Halloween! I got involved in a discussion with a friend today about good movies to watch at this time of year. What started off as a trickle ended up a torrent of suggestions. I thought to myself, maybe there are others out there looking for a good movie (or movies) to watch during this week leading up to Halloween. So here come a few suggestions.

I'm going to start with the assumption that you've seen "the classics" and the well-known, mainstream options -- Halloween, The Thing, Poltergeist, The Ring, Alien, and so forth. If you haven't, go watch them; my work is done. Beyond that, however, I'm going to try to dig a little deeper -- worthy films that, in my experience, most people I know have not seen.

If you liked Halloween... I suggest The House of the Devil. Though made just a couple years ago, it is a faithful and loving homage to the tense slasher films of the late 70s and early 80s.

If you liked The Thing... I recommend Frailty. There's actually no "monster movie" comparison to be drawn between the two. But like The Thing, the core of this movie is the question: "how do you survive when you have no one you can trust?" And the situation is far more realistic (and therefore unsettling).

If you liked Scream... try Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. Like Scream, the movie has a lot of humor, and makes sport of tweaking slasher film clichés.

If you like gore... watch Slither. There's plenty of humor here too; the movie doesn't take itself at all seriously. But it's also the most disgusting horror film I've seen in the past decade or so -- in a good way.

I hope this has been of use to you Halloween fans out there. Happy holidays!

No comments: