Sunday, October 09, 2011

Laugh Riot

I just got back from a fantastic evening seeing Tim Minchin at the Boulder Theater. If you're unfamiliar with this amazing singer-songwriter-comedian, do yourself a favor, go punch his name into YouTube, and watch some of the results that come up.

He's even funnier in person. His show was a great mix of new material and bits I'd seen before on TV and the internet. But new or old, he had me laughing that joyous can't-breathe/tears-streaming laughter that comes along too rarely. And though that would have been more than enough, it was a well-rounded show too. His main finale displayed his dizzying piano skills, while his two encores showcased a warm and sentimental side that had the whole audience singing along in non-ironic community.

I can't remember the last comic performance I've enjoyed this much, and I've seen some damn fine comedians over the years. If you ever get a chance to see Tim Minchin perform, do it, do it, do it. I know I wouldn't hesitate to go see him again. Tomorrow, if I had the opportunity.

Good times.

No comments: