Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Before There Was Tru Blood...

Around 15 years ago (holy crap -- it was 15 years ago!), I had a regular RPG night with my friends. We played Vampire (The Dark Ages version) every week or two, playing the same characters for over two years. Good times.

I actually have a souvenir of those times. One night, one of the group came in with several bottles of wine. He saw it in the store, it was cheap, and so on a lark, he bought us each our very own bottle of... Vampire wine.

It turns out they still make the stuff: see?

Anyway, I kept the bottle. Intact, actually. I took it with me when I moved to Virginia, a memento of my friends back in Colorado. I brought it back with me when I returned. It has survived no less than six moves, and I've never been tempted to open it because I'm really not much of a wine drinker.

But recently, I have to confess to some twisted curiosity. I mean, I'm sure a worthless bottle of wine aged 16 years is still a worthless bottle of wine. But I'm still friends with all of the people who were in that old role playing group. Maybe there would be so kitsch value in popping open the bottle some time when we're all together and letting everyone have a taste. I mean, I could still keep the bottle as a memento afterward, and then there would be two stories to go with it -- the receiving it, and the drinking of it.

Or maybe it's better to just hang onto it until it's a 20-year old bottle of wine. Or 30. Or more. Maybe I should save it to pop open some day when I'm old and grey, and use it to recapture memories of my youth?

Or maybe I'll just be disappointed at what I waited for for decades.

I'm not sure there's a point to me sharing any of this, other than: hey, I didn't have anything better to talk about tonight; did you know there's Vampire wine?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would open that bottle with my friends sooner rather than later, for the very simple reason that the people you'll want to do this with (or even you!) may not be around anymore at that undefined point in the future.

And I know what I'm talking about.

FKL