Sunday, October 30, 2011

Spider-man(sion)

With Halloween tomorrow, bringing with it the final day of haunted houses, I hesitate to even mention this. But I had a fun experience last night at a haunted house here in Denver, and I figured that some of you might be looking for something to do tomorrow night.

It's the Spider Mansion, at Heritage Square near Golden. It's a 5 to 10 minute experience with all sorts of fun different elements. There are several actors scattered throughout, dressed both as famous horror movie characters and general scary archetypes. The scares are well placed to get you from directions you aren't expecting. I'd say more, but it would kind of spoil the fun, now wouldn't it?

But I will offer two tips. First, for this haunted house in particular: they allow no more than 4 people in at a time, and the line gets long. I would imagine it will be longer still tomorrow. So if you go, do yourself the favor and pay the extra $7 for the VIP pass that lets you jump the line.

Next, a tip for haunted houses in general: take a screamer with you. Though I did enjoy this experience, it wasn't as fun as the last time I visited a haunted house two or three years ago. Why? I didn't have a jumpy, nervous screamer going through the place with me. Without such a person, sure, you get a few good startles. You appreciate the atmosphere. But you don't really get into the experience. Next year, I'm totally taking a screamer.

Happy Halloween, everyone.

No comments: