Friday, September 15, 2006

Dumber Than Advertised

I don't understand this recent trend with DVD box sets of complete seasons of TV shows: they get elaborate names like "Desperate Housewives Season 2: The Extra Juicy Edition" or "Lost Season 2: The Extended Experience." There's no other version of these things out there. So what the hell? "Extra Juicy" as compared to what? "Extended Experience" as compared to what?

What kinds of people were on the fence about buying these DVDs, and were pushed over the edge when they thought to themselves "oh, well, if it's extra juicy, I have to go for it!!!" ??

5 comments:

Jono said...

All about advertising. I bet they hired some research firm and found out that "Extra Juicy" or "Extended Edition" sells more copies than saying 'deleted scenes' included. Probably because now every DVD released has deleted scenes.

On a side note, I'm wondering if the good doctor saw answers from this summer's internet game The Lost Experience? Or would that be too spoilerish? I only read about them... and found them wierd.

Roland Deschain said...

I'll almost make it a little more simple than that. Both Lost and Desperate Housewives are Disney/Touchstone products. I'd bet an intern named these after all the people who've been fired there of late.

And really...I'm not allowed to speak of The Lost Experience. I get a little rabid about it. :P Damned Alvar Hanso and Thomas Mittlewerk...Damn Apollo Bars and Dharma Orientation films... :P ;)

DrHeimlich said...

Talking about the Lost Experience is on my "list of things to blog." But, uh, yeah... "weird" hardly covers it.

TMac said...

That isn't entirely true, you could have bought these through iTunes or eventually through the Amazon or Microsoft services or whatever. They want to be able to sell these to the people who've already purchased them that way.

Anonymous said...

I really can't stand the term "UNRATED" they toss on every single movie release. like the "UNRATED" movie will have actual sex scenes or something? I'm pretty sure that we all know at this point that the only thing not rated is the commentaries, but it doesn't stop them from putting a bid red lettered "UNRATED EDITION" across the cover.

maybe they know the public is getting sick (jaded?) of the term "unrated" and is just trying out new adjectives like "extra juicy"?

the mole