Friday, September 22, 2006

Now You See It; Now You Don't

Finally, a night off with no new TV shows premiering (of interest to me, anyway). That's Friday for you. (But Battlestar Galactica returns in just two weeks. That's the TV event I'm looking forward to more than any other.)

Given the gap, I thought I'd backtrack a bit and talk about the newly "remastered Star Trek." It's been a few weeks since I first mentioned it, and now it has actually begun. At some point during this past week (depending on when your local station carried it), the remastered version of Balance of Terror debuted.

I'm going to wait to form my own final judgment on this... teehee... enterprise after I see a few more episodes. But my early thoughts on it are that these updated versions are probably going to have something for everybody... to be annoyed by.

I'm sure there are people with an opinion between the two possible extremes here, but basically the two camps on this are: "why are they messing with this stuff?" and "wow, they could really update this and make it look really cool now!" And based on Balance of Terror, I think neither camp is going to be satisfied.

The "why are they messing with this camp" is probably breathing a sigh of relief when they compare images like this one of the Romulan warbird from the original version:


...to this version from the "remaster":


Can you tell the difference? Well, not everyone can -- and very few people would know anything was up without seeing the images side by side. I played some tidbits of the new CG stuff in this episode for a couple of my friends who aren't Trek fans, and they had absolutely no idea. And really, if you hadn't watched this episode frame-by-frame like I did in my time at The Company, how the hell would you know? Purists, breathe easy -- no one is messing with your baby.

At least, so it seemed until the minor plot point in the episode about the Romulan ship and the Enterprise passing through the tail of a comet. Here's what that comet looked like originally:


...and here's how it looked in the remaster:


Now here, I think anybody could easily spot that there's stuff going on that wasn't possible for television in the 1960s. It was particularly striking in motion, watching the tail swirl with more subtle detail and realism than even the comet from the opening credits of Deep Space Nine. It looked pretty. And it stuck out like a sore thumb.

And herein lies the problem: consistency. Yes, some people don't want anyone to mess with the original. Others want to see these new CG artists to take full advantage of their modern equipment and serve up exciting new material. I say they need to figure out which group they're going to piss off, and go for it full tilt. Either make it look amazing, or don't bother.

I'd say three-quarters of the new effects (or more) in this remastered Trek episode were like the first example -- essentially indistinguishable to all but the incredibly geeky. Consequently, the other quarter or so that were like the second example looked all the more out of place.

We'll see if they achieve a more consistent look in future episodes -- starting with The Devil in the Dark in the coming week. (If you're curious about what lies ahead, the full schedule for an entire year is available at StarTrek.com.

4 comments:

TheGirard said...

frame...by...frame

Roland Deschain said...

I haven't been awake to catch an actual episode yet, as it runs Saturday night midnight. But I'm not a huge Star Trek geek like Dr. Heimlich, but I think it would drive me batty trying to watch this. There are times when I hate that my job as a film tech has trained me to look for details and changes like this.

Ask Dr. Heimlich. People don't like going to movies with me. ;)

I agree though. Either go full tilt and revamp all of the effects a la Star Wars, or go for the subtle replacement and redo to make things look better and in place, a la the DVD version of Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

GiromiDe said...

Here is the fence I sit on. If you suddenly show completely new shots that better illustrate what the hell is actually going on, then you might be taking away from any drama that is built by the fact that meaningful, long effects shots were impossible in the 1960s. However, if you basically go shot-for-shot just to bump the whole thing up to HD-compatible, you might have wasted a unique opportunity.

I'm certainly not against all of the meddling of the original Star Wars trilogy. In fact, I think Lucas -- had he the sensibilities of, you know, a true artist and writer -- could have re-edited certain pieces of key dialogue beyond the "prequel retconning" in the latest tweak to Episode V. I mean, who wouldn't want a less repetitive, less stupid Darth Vader in Episode VI?

Look, the audience of the original Star Trek is aging. If Paramount wants to draw interest in this franchise, they should have taken a bigger risk with the HD update. They could've kept the CGI in the same 1960s style of this update. Would it have been bad to have used the new standard warp and cloaking effects of the last four series?

Seriously, are we going to see the same terrible "back and forth shot" when Kirk and Co. beam to the Mirror Enterprise through the ion storm, except in CGI?

Anonymous said...

can't.... believe..... I..... missed this. where was... I at? what could I have possible been... doing? need to pay... more attention... to upcoming shows. quickly... set course to search... for... ironic rerun... of new... old... episode!

the mole