Thursday, September 28, 2006

Obsession

Are you a fan of Lost? You think you're hardcore? Did you participate in The Lost Experience?

For the unaware who don't want to read through all of that wiki article, here's the deal in a nutshell. All summer long, pieces of a "Dharma Initiative" video (like those seen on the series) have been slowly gathered by fans, who have pieced together the data one bit at a time by jumping through some of the most ridiculous hoops imaginable:

Find the hidden messages in advertisements in Entertainment Weekly magazine.

Go to a particular spot in a particular city at a particular time and watch for a brief message to flash on a digital billboard.

Assemble info from inside the wrappers of a few select chocolate bars.

These are just the tip of the iceberg. Fortunately, those of us who watched in stunned amazement from the sidelines (or who were unaware) can now view the fruits of the crazy labor, without all the work.

Behold, the completed Dharma video, the newest chapter in the unfolding conundrum that is Lost:

3 comments:

NDM said...

I was a fan of Lost. I missed the first season, so I started renting it when it came out. I got so hooked (so did my wife) that we would burn through 5 or 6 episodes in a weekend. But then, came Season 2...

I just started losing interest. The first season was so new, and fresh, and the stories made sense because they were stories about people. But in Season 2, they had to come up with reasons for story progression, explaining the mysteries that the island held, and move beyond the survival factor that the castaways had already conquered. Enter all the bizarre Others, Dharma, and Polar Bear shit...

After seeing this video, I have to admit my interest is sparked. I watched the finale last season and want to see the conclusion of the cliffhanger. But if it doesn't pick up soon, I'm out.

Where are all the good shows!!!

Shocho said...

"Unfolding conundrum" is quite apt... implying that there is no story, only a continuing mystery with no solution.

Hanso unfortunately does not explain why the Six Numbers are the first six retired jerseys of the New York Yankees.

I love the part where he says, "And then you will do --BFPZZZZT-- and save the world." Too bad the video crapped out at JUST THAT SECOND.

Ah well. I'm hooked. See you in Hawaii on Wednesday.

DavĂ­d said...

When a story is opaque for the sake of opacity, it has problems. I imagine Lost will consider its downward spiral. A friend is only willing to give the third season one episode to win him back. I'm not sure if I'll give it too much more.