Tuesday, September 19, 2006

No New Tuesday "Appointments"

On the "TV front" tonight, the only new show I checked out was Smith. I doubt I'll be continuing. Much like The Class, it's not exactly "bad." But it's not exactly that good either.

Plenty of good actors on this show, but the whole played out less than the sum of the parts. This series is clearly going to revolve around "heists," and the one they mustered for this pilot couldn't match even mediocre episodes of Alias -- not in ingenuity, not in execution, not in plain ol' fun. Compounding that problem was a growing epidemic facing television writing: for the love of all that is holy, can we please call a cease fire on the whole "XX Hours Earlier" gimmick? It sapped nearly all the suspense from the (anti-)climactic sequence of the show!

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll spend my hour watching Boston Legal instead. (Which returned tonight as crazy and delicious as ever. Denny Crane!)

4 comments:

Shocho said...

Smith was perfectly awful. The music sucked, and the "Three Hours Earlier" meant I got to watch the same ten minutes of show twice. WTF? And where are the heroes in this show? What a waste of some great acting talent. It looked like a cross between Fastlane and Cop Rock.

Anonymous said...

maybe Tuesday could be your video game night? I know you have quite a backlog of cool games that could use some attention...

the mole
(where every night is video game night!!)

DavĂ­d said...

I found Smith to be decent. It held my interest, though I really didn't need to see the same ten minutes of show again as shocho suggests. Ray Liotta was the only character who had any meat to him - otherwise it was focused on the heist and none of the other characters got much time. I see it as a show I might watch if I have nothing else to do.

But wait, Boston Legal was new last night? I had it down as returning next week. To BitTorrent I go!

GiromiDe said...

"Hours Earlier" is a plague. When even a masterpiece like BSG succumbs to it, you know you're dealing with a nasty bug. I'd call Dr. Quinn or House, but they're both five hours behind.