Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Their Fire Has Gone Out of the Universe

I think it's pretty much official -- the love is totally gone.

Today, the new (old) version of the Star Wars trilogy was released on DVD, as George Lucas originally swore not to do (until he decided he wanted the money). I saw it in the store when I made my fairly regular Tuesday stop for new stuff... but I was there for Season 2 of The Office. And the new Barenaked Ladies CD.

I felt absolutely no pull whatsoever to buy the Star Wars DVDs. And I think I was a little surprised.

After all, I still went to see the prequel movies in the theater, despite my disappointment in each and every one. Of course they soured me on Star Wars. But I would have assumed I'd still muster a little excitement for the original trilogy in its original form.

I mean, I'm the guy that owns two copies of Ferris Bueller's Day Off on DVD, only because when they did the "special edition" version last year, they didn't put the John Hughes director's commentary from the first release on it. I kept both so I could have all the features.

I have the original one disc DVD of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, as well as the 2-disc special edition, only because in the 2-disc version they put 3 minutes of scenes back into the film that weren't part of the theatrical version -- and there's no option to view the original film.

So you see, I can be a pretty completist nutcase when it comes to movies I like.

But I didn't want to buy Star Wars again. It's not out of any great protest I'm aspiring to, refusing to give George Lucas another dollar, or anything like that. I just wasn't really interested anymore. The love is gone.

Is anyone else feeling as I do? Did anyone actually spring for the new (old) DVD versions of the trilogy? If you did, are you keeping the old (new, meaning "futzed with") versions?

12 comments:

Kathy said...

I'll give you one better. I never bought the futzed-with versions on DVD. Again, not out of any moral stand (but I do agree that GL doesn't need any more of the money that is better dropped into a 529 account so the B can go to college) but because I felt no pull to have them.

I either "grew up" or the prequels were just horrible enough to kill any enthusiasm I had left for the original.

Roland Deschain said...

Well...seeing as they used the old laserdisc transfer for these dvds- and I have both the laserdiscs AND the dvd's created from the laserdiscs made years ago by pirates with a whole lot more extra features than these new pieces of crap...I'll stick with what I have.

No more money for you, Lucass.
And no, that's not misspelled. :P

And actually, the only reason I have any of the official versions on DVD at ALL is because Fox sent them for me to review. So officially- meh.

Anonymous said...

oh, the sadness. while I'm not going to buy the new-old movies just so I can see Han shoot first and to hear Boba Fett's original voice, I did pick up Lego Star Wars 2. if anything could re-spark the 'wars lovin it's the power of lego and video games. and I gotta say, it's pretty fun.

the mole

TheGirard said...

I'm not picking them up, but it's not because I want to "stick it to George Lucas". I still have the copies on VHS. ;)

GiromiDe said...

I have the same feeling. The love is indeed gone.

It didn't die when the Special Edition hit the theatres. In fact, I believe the love swelled just a little bit.

I'm pretty sure the prequels sent the love away. I felt like a fool for loving Star Wars in the first place. How could I have let my childhood impressions cloud my judgment? How could I have given any money to a guy who just doesn't execute his ideas with the passion he conveys in interviews?

I should be excited about the old versions being available on DVD, but the whole effort seems half-hearted, and thus I just don't care.

There's also a law of diminishing returns at work here. Or entropy. Or both. There's definitely a factor of license overexposure.

Brad said...

Well, i've said it before, and i know you don't really need to hear me say this but, "Lucas will never get another dime from me!"

But these recent releases have zero appeal for me. Z-E-R-O.

I heard someone else say that to me the other day as well.

Anonymous said...

I might pick them up because I never got the first DVD releases. I think the prequels are to blame for our unenthusiasm to anything Lucas/SW related.

- Enrique

No "Thank you, George!" love out there anymore?

Shocho said...

I think Zep said it best:

How many more times,
Treat me the way you wanna do?
When I give you all my love,
Please, please be true.

Tom said...

Dead. Gone. All of it.

Jono said...

Didn't buy them... unsure if I will (I didn't buy the versions that came out two years ago so I'm not that much of a sucker).

Just wait three more years (or less) and George will put them all out on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Maybe then it might be worth it - if I have an HDTV by then.

Mkae said...

Are you guys crazy?? These are the ORIGINAL, UNSPOILED VERSIONS of the greatest movie trilogy ever! Lucas really just wants to return to the fans the original masterpieces as we saw them as children so we could relive the joy and wonder of...

Ugh.. I thought I could make it all the way through that but I threw up in my mouth..just a little.

Screw this whole DVD scam. I have more than enough copies that I need. It's bad enough the LOTR now has a third (or is it fourth) DVD set out.

NDM said...

My wife is my hero. For my b-day she bought me a pirated collectors set of all six SW DVDs...this was before Episode III was even out. God, I love her! Funny thing is that the dear girl didn't even know what piracy was.

Thanks Ebay!!!