Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Exotic Plant Story

Would you ever go knock on a complete stranger's door and ask if you could take some flowers right out of their garden?

Well, I know I wouldn't (and not just because I'm lethal to plants), and I'd wager most people wouldn't either. But tonight, while I was visiting at my parents' house, that's exactly what happened.

Apparently, the brown irises that my Mom has growing in the planter under her front window are fairly rare. "I can't find these anywhere!" said the total stranger who rang the doorbell during the middle of my brother's birthday party, just before asking if she could take some home for her own garden.

I suppose it's slightly less bizarre that the person actually asked and didn't just rip them out and take them without telling. But then again, the Great Iris Heist might be in the early planning stages right now, even as I type this. After all, we have no idea where in the neighborhood this woman lives. And as long as she plants her ill-gotten horticultural loot in the backyard, who will ever know?

And what possible answer do you give to the strange woman asking to take your flowers? "Oh, I'd love to, but if I gave you some brown irises, then I'd have to give some to everyone that knocked randomly on my door asking about them."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to have to spell it out for you, Herr Doktor, but your blog entry is incomplete: what did your mom respond?

(And BTW, did I miss an entry on the Simpsons movie or something?)

FKL

DrHeimlich said...

Unfortunately, the end of the story isn't that interesting -- my mother just said something like, "sorry, but no."

No, I didn't post anything on The Simpsons Movie yet, because I haven't seen it. Short version is, I'm not even sure I want to. I quit watching the show a while ago when I realized after the end of a particularly unfunny episode that the show hadn't done anything that had actually make me laugh out loud at an episode in years. I don't figure paying for a similar experience to be a good expenditure. Particularly when there are other movies (The Bourne Ultimatum, Sunshine) that I've missed being out on the road that I am more interested in seeing.

But if you're recommending the movie, that might revised my plans a bit...

Anonymous said...

Well, since the movie felt like "a pretty good episode" but nothing more, I would recommend it to anyone who still has a good time watching the show from time to time (like me).
If you say you don't really enjoy it anymore, then don't waste your money. They didn't do anything that made it feel like a movie -- it was really just a longer-than-usual episode. And not the funniest I've seen.

As for The Bourne Ultimatum, I saw it yesterday and I'd be happy to see it again tonight. :)

FKL

Roland Deschain said...

I'm with ya, I've gotta give credit to the strange woman for asking as opposed to just yanking them up to take with her.

And Sunshine...great flick. I've seen it twice now.

DrHeimlich said...

I do plan to catch up with both Bourne and Sunshine, if I can find the time this weekend.