Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Bag Nags

Well, it was a fun and relaxing couple of days off, but I am now back in Denver after another tedious day of airline travel. I could complain about the hassle of airport security (and I have), but instead my issue today is with some of the passengers themselves.

Why do so many people still have problems with the process of exiting an airplane? Why do people who have a carry-on bag in the overhead compartment that's right there wait until the moment it's actually their turn to walk down the aisle to the door before removing it?

Almost every damn time, it's "oh... I guess it's my turn... let me fumble around now with that silly latch... okay, I gotta reach up... guess I'd better put this book down first... now then, let me pull that case down... okay, all set then? ... Whoops! Forgot that book! ... Silly me..." and then finally they start moving.

That asshat has just wasted like 10 seconds. And I don't think I'm overreacting here, because if you multiply that by 2 for the left and right side of every row, and by about another 20 or so for the number of rows in a typical commercial jet, we're now talking about over six minutes wasted just to get off the damn airplane!

Do these people not care that there might be people behind them on the plane in a hurry to make connecting flights? Or people that might have anything in the world better to do than to wait for their dumbass to collect their stupid things and just move already?!!!

5 comments:

Don Roeber said...

My favorite are the people who put their bags farther back in then plane than their seat, and then expect to be able to go back and get it when their aisle is up for exiting. Hah!

Roland Deschain said...

Again proving that as a rule, the general public are inconsiderate asshats who think that everyone else is there to revolve around them.

Those are the same people who write a check in the express lane at the grocery store - but they wait until the cashier is completely done ringing everything up before they even get the bloody checkbook out of their purse or pocket.

Out the airlock with you. :P

BubbaJoe said...

Maybe I am too young to consider this a problem, but did you just post about losing 6 minutes where you had to wait? You know if you don't make the connection it is the airline's fault not yours (assuming you have enough time to begin with) so that means they will get you on the next flight.

6 minutes? 360 seconds? I bet you waste more time waking up on a daily basis than you did waiting to get off that airplane...

Jason said...

Yes, but when I get out of bed in the morning, I haven't been on the road for a week and am anxious to get home. Makes a man grumpy that doofus up there can't get his shit together.

(I just hate inefficient people in general. People who do complain that there's not enough time in the day could probably save themselves plenty of it by not screwing around like they do.)

Anonymous said...

are we just wasting MORE time by stressin' over this? now they have not only wasted the 6 minutes for you getting off of the plane, but the XX minutes you spent writing the blog, and now some of our minutes as we reply! minutes we could have spent commenting on something else?

those chumps are wasting people's time in other dimensions! something about butterflies and hurricanes or something?

the mole