Monday, August 27, 2007

Light Lady

On a street corner in Indianapolis, I saw this perplexing feature:


The still photo doesn't quite do justice to the weirdness of this thing. The strange "light woman" just keeps shifting her weight from one leg to the other, swinging her arms, 24 hours a day. The first time I saw it, I thought it was some bizarre kind of "Walk" sign for the intersection, except it didn't really look like she was walking. And it didn't matter whether the traffic light was red or green. She just kept swinging her arms.

Days later, when I visited with my cousin, he told me that he thinks this is part of some sort of downtown "street art" project, and that there are different light boxes on different corners showing other things. So I guess this is like the mermaids of Norfolk, or the cows of the 16th Street Mall in Denver.

But I mean, way weirder, right? I can't be the only one who thinks so. Well, maybe just reading this, you may not think so, but trust me... if you'd seen it in person....

8 comments:

Jason said...

Dude, she was hot. And I think she wanted me.

Shocho said...

I think she did want Jason, and that's just one more thing that's horribly wrong with her.

TheGirard said...

i thought she was swaying her hips at me.

Sangediver said...

Weird, but not quite as weird as the pastel/flowery setgosauruses that were randomly placed around LAkewood last year...

Roland Deschain said...

My current favorite was up in Breckenridge. They had a "Boots on Broadway" exhibition - much like the cows. Only they were 6 foot tall cowboy boots.

Yeah. That'll shake that backwoods western image right off for ya.

And on a separate note, THEY WERE NOT COWS! They were very confused animals, but not cows.

Cows do not have horns. And bulls do not have udders. So technically...they were something much more disturbing. Because believe me...if the animal has horns, take my warning.

DO NOT TRY TO MILK IT.

Ever. :-P

Anonymous said...

YouTube maybe? I'm too busy (or lazy?) to look myself but I'm sure it's gotta be on there somewhere!

I was in NC last weekend (Outer Banks) and they have various Horses all painted up.

those types of thing remind me of a Mario game or Banjo Kazooie where things are hidden all around the level and you have to collect so many to open the next door or whatever. I'm always tempted to grab my digital camera and make a quest of it!

the mole

Mkae said...

There was another one a few blocks away that featured the same "dressed" image only from a walking side view. Absolutely no chest, whatsoever. Shattered the entire illusion.

If the artist was truly topical, he would have done a special one for GenCon with an orc or something. Lamer.

Trundling Grunt said...

I actually like them, but I think it's me she's after