Sunday, August 19, 2007

Party Crasher

I am never, ever going to be able to hear the song "Get This Party Started" without laughing hysterically. Mind you, it's not like this was one of my favorite songs to begin with, but now a whole mess of random associations have come together to ruin any attachment I might ever have formed to that song.

When I hear the song now, I basically get three things going on in my mind:

1) When you get to the chorus of Pink's original version of this song, it frakkin' rocks the cowbell. Big time. So Christopher Walken and Will Ferrell come charging in to my brain. (If you've been in a cave somewhere and don't understand why, this should help.)

2) One of my brothers used to do his own made up lyrics for the song: "Iiiiiiiii'm gonna fart, so you better get ready for it...." Juvenile? Definitely. Funny? Maybe not. But it pops in my head now, whether I want it to or not.

3) I've now seen Shirley Bassey's cover version of this song. Yes, that Shirley Bassey, the full-voiced warbler who gave us the theme songs to Goldfinger, Moonraker, and Diamonds Are Forever. Check it out if you like, but know that some things cannot be "unseen" once you've seen them:

4 comments:

Roland Deschain said...

I don't think I have anything going through my head after watching that video but...

WHAT.

THE.

FARK.

Anonymous said...

LOL! coming next summer, 007 James Bond in "Get This Party Started"...

now I'm looking forward to a movie that will never exist... that sounded just like a Bond intro!

the mole

Anonymous said...

Ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow......
That'll teach me to ignore the warnings.

I couldn't help thinking when she sings "I can go for miles if you know what I mean", "I know what you mean... the question is, do YOU know what you mean?"

And they made a video... what # MTV is going to show THAT video?

Sangediver said...

Oooch.

What's next? Barry White sings "Rump Shaker"?