Monday, September 17, 2007

Back in Prison

The fall television season has now officially begun with the return of Prison Break. I followed it enthusiastically last year (as many of you know), watching it continue to tell engaging stories while 24, airing right after it, sort of flopped around all over the place. (Really, I think it made Prison Break look even better by comparison.)

So, what's the prognosis on season three?

Well, I have to say that tonight's episode never really had me on the edge of my seat like almost every episode of seasons one and two did. This was a more sedate episode of the show. But you could almost expect that, since the writers were really laying all new track, all but starting over again from scratch.

No real surprises in the plot. You could easily figure out the "twists" ahead of time. (Why Michael was in Sona. What had happened to LJ and Sara.) And yet, there was a certain satisfaction in seeing so many of the characters, separated for large chunks of season two, back together under one roof. Mahone and Scofield, for example, might have interacted with each other more in person in this one episode than they did in the whole of last season. If there was a down side to season two, it was the loss of many of the character relationships of the first year of the show, and this re-invented Prison Break offers a chance to return to that.

But I'm not hooked yet. Not disliking it, by any means. Just not hooked yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not a bad episode, I think.
Laying all new track, all right -- so I suppose it's bound to take some time to build up steam. But I'll surely be there when it happens.

Only one gripe: I enjoy seeing beautiful people on screen, as much as anyone, I suppose. But it really annoys me when they're shown scantily clad for no good reason (be them man or woman). Now WHY did the hot woman in the first shot of the show just have to take off her blouse and display her sexy black bra to adjust her makeup??? Give me a good reason. Show me that the blouse is badly torn (and let me wonder about that for a few episodes before handing me the answer) -- anything. I just hate it when it's "cheap & easy" like that.

On a similar note, the last movie by Luc Besson, Angel-A, is FULL of that. It's not a bad movie at all, but it's pretty much all an excuse to show off the hot lead actress (always wearing a skimpy mini dress, always smoking in a sexy pose, always alluding to sex, and so on and so on). Like I said, I'm fine with it (and may even enjoy it) when it's justified. When it's not, I feel like I'm being treated like a moron.

FKL