Friday, September 07, 2007

Now It Goes to 11

I don't have much in the way of a detailed review to go with this, but I did want to throw my recommendation behind a new board game I've been playing a fair amount recently, Notre Dame. This is the latest in Alea's "big box" series of games (number 11), and a vast improvement over some of the recent entries which, while not bad, have not been worthy of the others.

This game has a really satisfying mix of solitary "infrastructure management" and ability to "screw your neighbor." (Similarly to Puerto Rico, the primary source of the latter comes in how "crap rolls downhill" toward the players sitting clockwise of you.)

It has a nice rules set that seems a bit daunting at first, but quite clean and clear before you finish your first game.

There seem to be a least a couple viable and different ways to win.

It plays a bit more quickly than some of the "thinkiest" of the games in the series, while still delivering a healthy dose of strategy.

This isn't suddenly my favorite game or anything, but is a game I'm happy to suggest at the moment, or pleased to play when it is suggested. Any fan of German board games should probably give this a look.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'll go out on a limb and say that this is definitely one of my favorites. I just can't get enough of it.
And it's certainly one of the best Aleas.

FKL

Anonymous said...

What, nobody elses decided to comment on this fine specimen from the boardgaming world?
(And THREE comments on frakkin' disc golf??)
And here I thought I was in the company of ladies and gentlemen.
Pfft.

FKL