Friday, September 14, 2007

Border Crossings

How genius is the marketing department behind Taco Bell?

It seems like every month (hell, maybe even once every two weeks or so), they're introducing some new menu item at Taco Bell. Chicken Taquitos. Grande Quesadillas. Or their latest, the new Cheesy Beefy Melt. And damned if I don't want to try most of these things on those infrequent occasions I find myself making a "run for the border."

But when you get down to it, there's nothing new going on here. Everything at Taco Bell is some "crossing" of about six or seven different things. In some way or another, every new menu item is working a tortilla or torilla-like thing, ground beef or chicken, cheese, and some mix of lettuce, tomato, sour cream and guacamole. And that's basically it.

Until it's a Cheesy Beefy Melt. Then, somehow, it's brand frakking new food technology heretofore unseen. And we all pretty much swallow it. Literally.

Genius.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Taco Bell has a unique thing going on here. I can go to McDonlads and ask for Big Mac sauce on my McChicken sandwich (very good BTW) but how do you go to Taco Bell and ask for a certain mix of stuff?

but what I don't get about Taco Bell, is why they have to "stop" selling these things? Okay if McDonalds doesn't have McRibs I can understand, but why can't I get Super-Nachos when I know they still have all the ingredients?

great. now I'm hungry :)

the mole

Roland Deschain said...

Yeah, no kidding, huh? Which is why it amazes me when I've gone to a Taco Bell and ordered...whatever only to get the response:
"Sorry, we're out of X."

In one case, I had ordered TACOS.
I was informed they were out of GROUND BEEF.

My thought was...you have like 8 ingredients here! How do you run out of bleeping BEEF? Doesn't that wipe out 3/4 of your menu?

Yikes.

TMac said...

Didn't you describe everything at a mexican restaurant? Some comedian had a routine about it.

"What is a burrito?
Tortilla, meat, cheese, and vegetable.

"What is a enchilada?
Torilla, meat, cheese, and vegetable.

He goes on for a while but you get the drift.

Sangediver said...

I still think that marketing execs at Taco bell have a sheet that has every combination possible for the number of ingredients available.

Once a month or so they take a dart and throw it at the sheet, think of a snazzy name and voila! New menu item.

And I have to laugh when KFC is out of chicken...

GiromiDe said...

Taco Bell is made of Satan's excrement.

Proof? The Verification for this comment is "dujng"