Thursday, December 06, 2007

End of Another Era

So, as someone noted in the comments of one of my recent posts, The Company I used to work for in Virginia has announced this week the end of Star Trek CCG. I'd be remiss not to acknowledge the end of the line for the game, since it's what got me into my career as a game designer. I also had a lot of fun as a player of the game for years before I became a designer of it.

I made a lot of friends over Star Trek CCG, many of whom I'm still in regular touch with. I still have framed uncut sheets from the game hanging on the walls of my apartment. (The rare sheet from Premiere, both First and Second Edition.)

All that given, though, I'm not really feeling like I've lost anything this week. For me, the end really came in January of 2005, not this week. I don't have any hard feelings left over it; I've just moved on already. For some time now, I've had the good memories and not the bad.

But for those feeling the end of this era now, for the first time -- I kind of know where you're at. I would most certainly be in an entirely different place in my life today were it not for Star Trek CCG.

3 comments:

Aabh said...

I abandoned Star Trek before you left for my own reasons... but still the comment you made sort of struck me with a little bit of sadness... somewhere I might still have some first edition cards... I know I have some first edition misprints which were once worthless... became worth less than worthless... but who knows where it'll be in a few years?

Anyway, the impact that STCCG has had on all of our lives -probably mine least of all :D- is still pretty profound.

Goodbye STCCG... Fare thee well.

Anonymous said...

wow thanks for the news. with all of my crazy schedule I never really pay attention to "The Game" during the holiday season. I can't say I didn't really see this coming, but a few of us (sometimes as many as 8-10ish) still played about once a month.

I also have many happy memories from this game, it was never a "job" for me so it was all fun hobby stuff. I even won a few free trips even though I didn't really get to travel far :) and "Epic 8-Player Mario Kart Night" would not have been possible without all of the great friends from "The Company"

the mole

Roland Deschain said...

After reading this, I saw something that made me chuckle. I'm flipping through the channels and pass QVC. I flip back when I saw the Star Trek logo. What it was was a "complete" set of STCCG cards along with 5 billion other card sets in a lot for sale.

It included things like a movie card set for Ghostbusters 2.

Ouch.